Help Win The War On Spyware!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Help Win The War On Spyware!

Postby Josh B. » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:18 pm

Ok, so I've been running McAfee and AdAware all day and have gotten a lot of crap off my computer, but I still haven't gained controll of my homepage yet. The last time I ran AdAware there were a lot of windows files that came up in Win32 I think. Are these safe to delete? The tide has turned but the war is far from over, please help.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:27 pm

Check out Searcn & Destroy.

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:29 pm

Yes, it's safe to delete those.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EVERYONE SWITCH TO FIREFOX!!!!!!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:25 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:Yes, it's safe to delete those.

Or Mac OSX...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:50 pm

...Or Spysweeper.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:05 am

Ok, geeks, what is your opinion on the Yahoo spyware? Keep the howl down to a dull roar, please. I have it and it seems to do a good job, I just want to know what I'm NOT seeing. I try to routinely do some housekeeping, but those damn dust bunnies lurk in the strangest places.

Also, PC-people, MS auto updates security packs: good or bad? I haven't gone near them since #2 fucked me up. However, looking at PC games and my MD software, they're wanting certain updates.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:10 am

No single anti-spyware tool catches everything. Get two or three free ones and run them regularly.

And you should definitely run the MS updates, especially if you have an "always on" internet connection. I usually wait about a week to install them, though, just in case it turns out to wreck computers. I figure I'll hear about it by then.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:25 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:Yes, it's safe to delete those.

Any of you Firefox users have problems with this site? I'm running Firefox at home and have occasional problems getting some of the BBCode to take in my posts. I also see some graphics problems, such as "blown" lines of text and the Clash guy staying put as I scroll. I'm not whining -- just wondering if I need to tweak something on my end. Thanks.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:57 pm

I've had some problems, but not with anything you've mentioned--occassionally the &^R$%&ing text ads take over the entire page and I am bounced to it whilst scrolling . That seems to be a problem with the way the ads are set up themselves, though, because I've seen them act that way on other pages--I would do some tweakin if I were you. And I am, like, totally a computer programmer so you should take me seriously, dammit *rolls eyes*.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:12 pm

Well, I've already rebuilt the TCP/IP stack and reconfigured my frame buffer. But all that accomplished was improving my bandwidth utilization. Shouldn't that be sufficient? Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. . . .

For those staunch defenders of standard English amongst you, this is hilarious.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/04/14/mit.prank.reut/

Return to “Rants and Raves”