Neil Young to boldly go where no hippie has ever gone before

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Neil Young to boldly go where no hippie has ever gone before

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 11:26 am

Neil Young honored with the Founders Award by ASCAP

The tribute took place during the performing rights group's 22nd annual pop music awards, which honored the writers and copyright owners of the most performed songs of 2004. Perhaps because many of ASCAP's top 50 songs were from the urban genre -- headed by hip-hop duo OutKast's song of the year, "Hey Ya!" -- Young declared his love for rap music.

"Most things I soak up, and it comes out here and there, so keep your eyes peeled," he said to laughter among the black-tie audience at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. "Anyway, I guess my mission now is to boldly go where no hippie has ever gone before."

[...]

Young was introduced by his old label boss, former Warner Bros. Records chairman Mo Ostin, who said that working with Young posed its fair share of challenges. He recalled that the environmentally conscious rocker wanted to issue his 1972 album "Harvest" wrapped in biodegradable paper that would turn to dust after a few years.

I love Neil. If you look through used vinyl bins, you'll see that most original pressings of Harvest are well on their way to dustville. My copy is falling apart and halfway decomposed already. Never knew it was by design, ha ha.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue May 17, 2005 12:59 pm

Shucks, I love Neil... just when you think he's slipping out of the public eye, he goes and warms your heart.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Tue May 17, 2005 1:39 pm

My copy is falling apart, too! I have to remember to carefully take it out of my record cabinet, because the vinyl will completely drop out of the jacket... I'd replace it, but most of the copies I see are either in the same or worse shape.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue May 17, 2005 2:06 pm

"Most things I soak up, and it comes out here and there, so keep your eyes peeled," he said to laughter among the black-tie audience at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. "Anyway, I guess my mission now is to boldly go where no hippie has ever gone before."

This is true. Part of me is afraid that he isn't joking.

Neil has some of the best quips in the history of rock. We could easily dedicate an entire thread to "the quotable Neil Young".

Return to “Rants and Raves”