Does anybody still listen to Elephant?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Does anybody still listen to Elephant?

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 11:30 am

Seriously, when's the last time anybody listened to the White Stripes' Elephant? I still give White Blood Cells a spin about once a month or so, but I never listen to Elephant anymore.

Between the interminable "Ball and Biscuit" and the stupid "Be like the squirrel" song, I just never feel like hearing that one. Which is a shame, because there are some awesome songs that album.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Tue May 17, 2005 11:38 am

Interesting question. The White Stripes represent a genre of music - harder, grungier rock - that I don't listen to as often as other forms of rock music. So, my opinion is skewed. I will say that I listened to "White Blood Cells" a month ago and probably haven't spun "Elephant" since 2003, although I liked it a lot then. Still, if I enjoyed the aesthetic of the White Stripes more, I'd probably put "Elephant" on several times a year.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 am

That squirrel bit is just plain dumb. Why do so many bands put crap like that on their records? I only loaded like 3 songs from it onto my Ipod.

BTW, Jack's old flame married a country music star. Anybody catch that? Too weird, man. I always thought that she looked a little like Jewel. Now she's got a "cowboy" too.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Does anybody still listen to Elephant?

Postby nobodygirl » Tue May 17, 2005 11:43 am

Jake wrote:Between the interminable "Ball and Biscuit" and the stupid "Be like the squirrel" song, I just never feel like hearing that one.

NEVER INSULT THE BE LIKE THE SQUIRREL SONG. I LOVE THAT FUCKING SONG. I CUT YOU.

That said, I haven't pulled Elephant out in a while, but that's mostly because I don't know where my copy is. But I think I will find it now, if only to spite you.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:52 am

If I were more Ipod-centric, Elephant is the kind of album I would pare down to its essential ladyparts. Seriously, "Seven Nation Army" is one of the my favorite Stripes songs and was the perfect single for that album. The two songs you note are pretty grating, Jake, and they wouldn't make my ipod cut, if I had one. I haven't listened to Elephant all the way through more than four or five times, and haven't put it on at all in at least 5 or 6 months, but I sure do drive a hell of a lot faster when "Seven Nation Army" comes on the radio. I probably listen to the first three with about equal frequency... every few months while putzing on the computer.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue May 17, 2005 12:00 pm

No, I don't listen to Elephant much anymore. I think it's the weakest of their albums, and White Stripes have a history of uneven records. Mostly I pull out their first album when I want to listen to them, sometimes De Stijl or White Blood Cells. I remember when Elephant first came out, Sab's review was controversial and I (foolishly) disagreed with it. Now I think he was dead on:

I am definitely not being too hard on Elephant--I remember writing it "approaches genius" at times. The problem is that it's far more inconsistent than previous albums--higher highs and lower lows--and I just plain want more of the shrieking metal wail the album begins with.

And yes, if the album was shorter it would be better, absolutely. De Stijl was only 37:30. Even if they would have left "Button" on the album and gotten rid of the three other awful songs, we'd be so much further ahead here. I do not buy music in bulk.

• sab, Apr 7, 2003 12:58PM ?

Hats off to Sab - the man knows rock.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 12:09 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I remember when Elephant first came out, Sab's review was controversial and I (foolishly) disagreed with it.

The controversial review: Metallic Tusks: The White Stripes' Elephant.

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Tue May 17, 2005 12:14 pm

as many of you may know, in japan cds often have a couple bonus tracks on albums otherwise identical to their north american counterparts (anyone know why?)

in the case of elephant, the two bonus tracks are "Who's to say?" and "good to me", which are among my favourite tracks on the disc. odd, they should've dropped "you've got her in your pocket" and "hardest button" in my opinions, included those two tracks. if they then mixed up the tracks a bit, putting some of the weaker songs towards the end, i'd be more inclined to pop the disc in now and then.

Chuck Norris Action Jeans
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Chuck Norris Action Jeans » Tue May 17, 2005 12:30 pm

terrabull wrote:as many of you may know, in japan cds often have a couple bonus tracks on albums otherwise identical to their north american counterparts (anyone know why?)

i imagine it must be some incentive for the japanese consumer to swallow the $25-$30 cd prices...(yikes!)

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue May 17, 2005 12:32 pm

It's so weird I was just talking about this - I was lamenting that Blue Orchid is cool, but it leaves me a little cold and hasn't been in my mind like I thought any new White Stripes would be. Just like Elephant.

Not only is Elephant inconsistent, it's a subtle but real departure from the stripped down bluesy-rock of their other albums. I love Seven-Nation Army, but it's no Broken Bricks or Screwdriver. With the addition of (imitation) bass and the other new production tweaks it's as if they went metal all of a sudden. Ball and Biscuit is just the most heavy track on a mostly heavymetal album that get's broken up by the squirrel shit and even that Holly Golightly number (which I barely listen to and I'm kind of in love her).

There are some gems and genius, and I agree - my trimmed down version gets a lot of play on the old iPod. Other random tracks (like Cold Cold Night) end up in other random playlists. The vinyl album however, remains on the shelf.

And I totally agree "Who's To Say" and "Good To Me" are the best songs from the album, even though they're not even on there. They're old-skool Stripe!
Last edited by amighty on Tue May 17, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”