Jazz landmark playing its final bars

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Jazz landmark playing its final bars

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 12:48 pm

Jazz landmark playing its final bars - Soon the only thing swinging at the South Side's Velvet Lounge will be the wrecking ball

This is sad news. I mean, on the one hand I've never been to the Velvet Lounge and probably never will, but on the other hand it sure seems like this city should be able to support something like this.

But then it's sort of like people whining about their local music scene when they never go out to shows to see local bands. Stop bitching and vote with your wallet, I guess.

Via Chicagomuzik.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue May 17, 2005 3:03 pm

that is disheartening news. of course, you can vote with your dollars, but sometimes music loses out to property values. look what happened to lounge ax.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 3:05 pm

Sure, but at least I went to Lounge Ax. I feel a little hypocritical getting all upset and disappointed that a venue I've never been to is closing. You know?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue May 17, 2005 3:29 pm

Can't we feel bad for a cultural loss that doesn't touch our personal lives? I feel bad about those Buddhist statues the Taliban wrecked a few years ago even though it's unlikely I ever would have seen them in person.

But this goes to the bigger issue of Chicago's culture, especially on the South Side. While I think Chicago does a pretty good job preserving its history (especially for a Midwestern city of its size), it's still not enough. America's culture is too often plowed over for short term financial gain--a gain that usually benefits a VERY small few. From naming rights to architectural eye sores on national war memorials, we constantly bow to the Corporate Gods. Do we really want the douchebags who ran Enron and Adelphia writing our history?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue May 17, 2005 4:16 pm

Good point.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue May 17, 2005 4:54 pm

$120,000 needs to be at the Cook County Assessor's Office by tomorrow. Where are we going to get that kind of money?
Wait a minute.......

The Band!

All we need is Blue Lou and Matt "Guitar" Murphy and we're gettin' them next!

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue May 17, 2005 5:20 pm

nice... that just made my day.

Return to “Rants and Raves”