Anyone have the new Spoon?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:15 am
Location: Not quite close enough to say Chicago

Anyone have the new Spoon?

Postby Barabajagal » Thu May 19, 2005 10:48 am

I've been taking it in, and true to their form, it's top-notch work.

But....

(You knew there'd be a 'but,'* didn't you?)

[*Easy there, nbg. Not Britt's butt!]

Is it me or does the album actually start at track 6? "Sister Jack," "I Summon You," and "Infinite Pet" just slay, they're such good songs. If they picked them to start, the game would be over, and Spoon would have won. FANTASTIC tracks.

But no, they had to go do their "we're minimalists" thing for their first bunch of tracks, which is kind of audacious, like, 'you're on Spoon Time, now.' But it bugs me. I'm not as entranced by a drum set playing a basic beat for 8 measures. It's miserly. Skimpy on melody. Too much withholding. Too tight ass. Oh, and that "Camera" song everyone's talking about? Too long. Prince, you say? Have we so soon forgotten Hall & Oates? Yeah, I get it, the vocals on everything are like the verses to "Boys are Back in Town." OK, sorry, I'm stretching here a bit.

Perhaps a thread could be "Anyone still listening to Kill the Moonlight?" Because I'm not, though I'll still rock Girls Can Tell and Series of Sneaks. KtM is a smart record but its 'experimental' qualities don't deliver in the same way their more melodic work does.

I kvetch because I love.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Postby worpswede » Thu May 19, 2005 11:26 am

Not as good as "Moonlight" but I can't stop spinning it.
http://worpswede.blogspot.com/2005/05/spoon-gimme-fiction.html

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:15 am
Location: Not quite close enough to say Chicago

Postby Barabajagal » Thu May 19, 2005 11:36 am

I feel ya, worpswede. Several of the tracks seem underdeveloped, fatiguing.

I do really like the first two tracks, especially "Monsieur Valentine," but I must say I'm not that into the camera tune. Yet, anyway.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:06 pm
Location: also? i can kill you with my brain.
Contact:

Re: Anyone have the new Spoon?

Postby nobodygirl » Thu May 19, 2005 12:05 pm

then you gotta stop saying things like
Barabajagal wrote:
[*Easy there, nbg. Not Britt's butt!]

and
Barabajagal wrote:tight ass.
.
I have had Gimme Fiction for months, because as I said before I
am a hypocritical jackass and my friend gave it to me whom I love dearly. I love it. As far as I know, they've been kicking aforementioned "Sister Jack" and possibly "I Summon You" around forever, and those are also my two standout tracks. Suck it, Robbers On High Street. And I love that Camera song, but I don't know whether I'm going to regard it as a novelty two months from now.
Barabajagal wrote:Perhaps a thread could be "Anyone still listening to Kill the Moonlight?"


YES.
Why? Because "The Way We Get By" is the best song EVAR.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:09 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby beginthebegin » Thu May 19, 2005 12:09 pm

I'm new to Spoon. I meant to pick up Kill the Moonlight for years, and I eventally just forgot about it. When I read reviews of the new one, I decided to jump on board.

That said, I'm really enjoying Gimme Fiction. I think the first two tracks are stellar, and I really enjoy I Turn My Camera On and Was it You. Hands down best song in my opinion though - I Summon You. I can't turn it off.

Seems general consensus is that Girls Can Tell is their best record. Taking mental note...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG
Posts: 3118
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Anyone have the new Spoon?

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu May 19, 2005 1:31 pm

nobodygirl wrote:YES.
Why? Because "The Way We Get By" is the best song EVAR.


I agree - I don't listen to the whole thing, but certain songs have made their way onto my permanent faves. Especially "The Way We Get By" - which is fucking awesome.

I'll leave the tight ass thing to nbg, tho.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: (((IOWA)))

Postby worpswede » Thu May 19, 2005 2:45 pm

beginthebegin wrote:Seems general consensus is that Girls Can Tell is their best record. Taking mental note...

No way. "Kill The Moonlight" is more better.
And "You sweet talk like a cop and you know it/You bought a new bag of pot so let's make a new start" is a great line.

"Oh, and that "Camera" song everyone's talking about? Too long. Prince, you say? Have we so soon forgotten Hall & Oates?"
Finally, somebody else!

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 964
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:06 pm
Location: also? i can kill you with my brain.
Contact:

Re: Anyone have the new Spoon?

Postby nobodygirl » Thu May 19, 2005 2:52 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:I'll leave the tight ass thing to nbg, tho.


*drools, objectifies*

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:15 am
Location: Not quite close enough to say Chicago

Postby Barabajagal » Thu May 19, 2005 3:21 pm

Mmm hmm. That's what I thought. "That's the Way We Get By," maybe "Paper Tiger," AND? Sometimes "Jonathan Fisk?" "ALl the Pretty Girls Go to the City?" OK. Sure. Uh huh. That's what I thought you'd say.

Don't get me wrong. Chillin' Moonlight is a fine record, a real corker, and "Way We Get By" is one of their best. Spoon is great. Not as many kick ass tunes as Girls? Do Tell! though. In fact I submit that merely on the strength of "Beast/Dragon," "M. Valentine," "Sis Jack," "I Summon Thee," & "Infinite Pet," Jimmy Friction is already the more memorable album than KtM! So there!!
Last edited by Barabajagal on Fri May 20, 2005 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: East side
Contact:

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu May 19, 2005 3:45 pm

Yes. Everything has been said about the greatness of Gimme Fiction. It is amazingly awesome. It is really good, but I have to disagree with ya Barabajagal, every song is awesome, but you're observation that all the best tracks are towards the end is also true. When I first started listening, it was like a 8.3, then it went up at track 4 (I can't think of the name. Fuck) to like an 8.62, then after track six it was like 9.2444444445.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest