I hate Ashlee Simpson

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

I hate Ashlee Simpson

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu May 19, 2005 10:11 pm

In a recent thread the topic had briefly changed from the Replacemnets to the argument of whether or not one can have "bad" taste in music. This intrigues me immensly. I know that everyone's tatse is an opinion, they decide to like Britney Spears instead Interpol, so in their opinion they have good taste in music whereas Interpol fans have bad taste in music. Do people agree with this? Is there really no such thing as bad taste? Here's what I said (I'm too lazy to retype it, so I'm willing to be an ass for a minute):

I'd quote what vitas just said, but it's far too lenghty. I don't make fun of people for their taste in music unless they're ignorant. Most people can't help having bad taste because they are fed this awful music by Clear Channel and MTV, but when they're ignorant, especially to the classics, I just get pissed. Also, when people claim Good Charlotte or one of those bands is "punk," that's just plain stupid. Also Ashlee Simpson and U2.

Does this make me an elitist "indie snob" now?

Here's my list of "musicians" who I will make fun of:
Ashlee Simpson
U2
Bolton
Any actress who started singing

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu May 19, 2005 10:51 pm

U2?? They play their instruments, write their own songs, and aren't filling the tabloids with their various drug/sex/pedophiliac habits. They, unlike Britney or Jessica or whomever is the It-person of the moment, ARE musicians. You don't have to like them, just give 'em credit for having formed a band without a stylist.

Yeah, I bit, I engaged, and normally I'd say it would take balls, but well I'll end it there. I've disengaged. What fucking bollocks.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Thu May 19, 2005 11:30 pm

I find that 'hating' Ashlee Simpson is a bit harsh. Regardless of whether or not you find her music to have merit, actually hating her is going a bit far. I'm sure that she's a decent person, and since it's highly doubtful that you know her personally it's an unnecessarily mean thing to say.

Whether or not 'bad taste' exists, there is no such thing as an unbiased judge either. So live and let live. I don't enjoy Ashlee, or her sister's music, but on the other hand, I find Interpol too mopey and repetitive, and outside of a couple of songs I don't enjoy their music much either. I'm not going to point and laugh at anyone for liking either, so long as they don't when I whip out Elton John.

I'm not sure what my views make me. Maybe, rather than an 'indie snob', or a 'Clear-Channel drone'...this makes me a happy person who can enjoy music. Works for me, anyways.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri May 20, 2005 1:50 am

Yeah, I don't get the vitriol for U2. I dig that many people aren't moved by the music and many find Bono to be a headline-seeking, messianic (sp?) bonehead, but I'm not in either camp. They were one of the "underground" bands I discovered on my own when Boy came out way back when, and they had a huge hand in me becoming a fan of Television, who they have consistently cited as a major influence. They've put out a couple of albums that I'm not crazy about, but for the most part, I think they are remarkably consistent and certainly a thrilling live act if you can deal with the bluster.

Ashlee Simpson, on the other hand, is almost as cringe-inducing as her sister for entirely different reasons. Me no likey. However, I do not hate her as in I think she's an irredeemably vile human being. I don't know her, just her music and public persona. That, I do have a problem with.

As to the matter of good taste/bad taste, certainly you judge others taste in music, film, literature in comparison to your own, and I hardly see how one could help that. However, I've moved far beyond making value judgements about people based on the music they listen to... well, mostly. I think I'm naturally more inclined to find bonhomie and friendship with someone whose tastes run similar to my own, but I don't write people off if their tastes are different. I sometimes can't help being puzzled, but live and let live, ya' know?

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Fri May 20, 2005 11:31 am

I don't get the U2 hate either. Whether they're punk or not, half of their songs rock harder than most of the kads in bands today.

As far as Ashlee and Britney go, I'm glad folks in my office and home don't listen to them, but at the same time, there's no real evil. The ladies know who they are and don't pretend to be somebody else (OK, fine, Ashlee might a bit, but she's the most tuneful of all of them). The real problem, as I see it, are "respectable" bands lauded by critics and fans "with taste" who are ridiculously overrated.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri May 20, 2005 12:21 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:As to the matter of good taste/bad taste, certainly you judge others taste in music, film, literature in comparison to your own, and I hardly see how one could help that. However, I've moved far beyond making value judgements about people based on the music they listen to... well, mostly.

I think that's the key. If I know someone who listens to nothing but Britney or Three Doors Down, I know to completely ignore any of their opinions on music, but I don't think it should reflect on them as a person.

And when I say I despise an artist (like Ashlee Simpson), I think it's pretty clear I'm talking specifically about their music, or lack thereof, not necessarily about them personally. But c'mon, I don't know Fred Durst, but I think it would be pretty safe to assume without having met him that he's a complete douche bag.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm

Hating Ashlee is like hating a retard. That's just the way they are, they can't help it. You can't blame them for being ugly, smelly or annoying.

Likewise, you can't blame her for her shitty music.

Just to set the record straight, though, I'd have no problem porking her.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri May 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Um, yeah, what Sugarcubes said goes for me too. ;-)

Besides, I usually spew my venom on far worthier subjects, like all the small-minded-but-deep-pocketed crybabies at the RIAA who, unfortunately can, have, and will do serious damage to their own industry.

If you look very closely at photographs, you'll clearly see that Ashlee has "flash-in-the-pan" tattooed in a ring around her bellybutton; we really don't have to worry that 20 years from now, she'll be anything more than an amusing anecdote or a punchline.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri May 20, 2005 3:01 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Just to set the record straight, though, I'd have no problem porking her.

Except for the gigantic bodyguards and the restraining order.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri May 20, 2005 3:06 pm

Who would you poke if you had a choice between Ashlee and Jessica and could only poke one. The pure visual lends itself to Jessica, but the "Nick was here" factor might haunt you. Ashlee has that "I'm insane which means I might be crazy in bed aura" about her. But let's face it you could do better than Ashlee face-wise at any mall in the world. It's hard to vote against Jessica now that we've seen her in the Daisy Duke outfit.
But I really hate Ashlee and that strong hate could end up arousing me beyond belief. Ahhh screw it...the big ole blonde wins..let's do Jessica!

Return to “Rants and Raves”