Bob Dylan's autobiography

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Bob Dylan's autobiography

Postby anothermonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Has anyone read it? What did you think? I've been thinking about picking it up.

foxforcefive
GLONO Board Playa

Postby foxforcefive » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:42 pm

I read it and it was amazing. It's not an autobiography at all, though. It's more like three or four snapshots of moments in Bob's life: first arriving in New York City, recording Oh Mercy in New Orleans, the early 70's uninspired years, and signing his first record deal. Dylan's language is totally engaging and readable, and the entire book is absolutely suffused with cultural references -- music, books, movies, history, everything. Plenty of surprises too (here's one: Blood on the Tracks is not autobiographical at all, it's based on Chekov's short stories. Or so Bob says). You should definitely check it out.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:58 am

I enjoyed it immensely. You can hear old Bob's raggedy voice when you read it, and the insightful and witty and the wonderfully weird and crazy things vastly outnumber the cranky things and the typos and incorrect information. Pity they didn't hire an editor, or at least a proofreader.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:56 am

I've heard nothing but good things from my customers. It's on my list, too.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 am

I highly recommend it if you're interested in Dylan. You've got to take a lot of what he says with a large grain or two of salt, but it's still great to hear the stories.

I was fascinated by the way he described his method of songwriting and recording: basically typing out the lyrics on a typewriter with no melody in mind, or with a melody from another song that he knows he won't use. And then sort of winging the music once he gets to the studio. He also says he was never really involved in choosing the musicians and left it up to his producer.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:27 am

I just thought of an idea for an article: Shit I Don't Actually Believe in Bob Dylan's Chronicles, Vol. 1.

Help me out, people. What did you find hard to swallow?

tongue-tied lightning
GLONO Board Playa

Postby tongue-tied lightning » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:21 am

I'm reading it now ,and loved reading about his dinner with Bono

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:45 am

Jake wrote:I just thought of an idea for an article: Shit I Don't Actually Believe in Bob Dylan's Chronicles, Vol. 1.

Help me out, people. What did you find hard to swallow?

The "Gorgeous George" story.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:05 am

Well, he's not going to be forthcoming about his personal relationships, so anything he says about those you know is the neat-n-tidy version. His relationship with Suze Rotolo for instance.

I loved his discussions about his influences; that's where you can be assured of his candor. We all know Woody Guthrie, but throw in Robert Johnson (whose music was extremely scarce then; it's his luck to have even heard it) and Brecht/Weill and his artistic epiphany--where he really came into his own beyond folk singing--makes perfect sense.

I also love how he was so keen to make it on the folk scene, which had it's own set of conventions and "standards of conduct" but really considered himself a rocker (or a "song and dance man") the whole time, which was declasse to a folkie.

His admiration for Barry Goldwater was also an incongrous but funny shocker. He was always his own man and no one else's. Can't wait for v.2!

tongue-tied lightning
GLONO Board Playa

Postby tongue-tied lightning » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:26 am

how about Bob eating greasy burgers with tiny Tim

Return to “Rants and Raves”