Let's fight! Arcade Fire edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Is the Arcade Fire mainstream now?

Yes, and I cry myself to sleep every night thinking about it
No votes
Yes, and I'm really excited about it
No votes
Not until they collaborate with the Black-Eyed Peas on their next album
25%
You know what? I don't care
75%

Total votes: 24

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Let's fight! Arcade Fire edition

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:48 am

The Arcade Fire is the musical guest on David Letterman tonight. That combined with seeing them sing with a David Bowie that looked like he had gotten jumped in an alley on that Fashion Rocks thing Russ was at have raised some questions that I don't have answers to. It was just strange because when I saw them it was so very much tantamount to a religious experience that it's bizarre accepting that I might have to share them with people now. And much MORE bizarre watching them follow, like, Usher or whoever (Fashion Rocks) and Reese Witherspoon (Letterman). What do y'all think? Are they still riding out the last five minutes of their fifteen minutes of fame and will sink back into critical adulation/obscurity/backlash, or is this a sign of the much-touted INDIE-ROCK-REVOLUTION-UP-AGAINST-THE-WALL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!111!!!! ?

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Let's fight! Arcade Fire edition

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:05 am

nobodygirl wrote:What do y'all think? Are they still riding out the last five minutes of their fifteen minutes of fame and will sink back into critical adulation/obscurity/backlash, or is this a sign of the much-touted INDIE-ROCK-REVOLUTION-UP-AGAINST-THE-WALL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!111!!!! ?

Both of the above, actually, is what I think about it.

They're riding the INDIE RAWK REVOLUTION but.....like 'garage rock' was 'making a resurgence' a few years back, this will probably pass too, sadly. I mean, the whole 'indie is trendy' thing is more or less limited to what bands are played on the OC, for the majority of listeners anyways. After it's all over, the Arcade Fire will be ours once again, and all the people who are into them now will probably remember Neighbourhood #3, and that's it.

I have to say though, that I'm happy for them. We've had the whole mainstream/selling out fight before, and on the whole I've declined to comment....but really, as long as an artist doesn't feel that commercializing is compromising him or her, I don't feel it either.

My favourite bands occasionally hitting the mainstream is also sort of cool when my brother is watching a shit show on MuchMusic...and then, I hear a blast of something familiar. Sleater-Kinney's Jumpers did that to me the other day, and it made me very happy.

So in conclusion....I'm happy that the Arcade Fire is getting the attention they deserve, at least for now.....but I really don't care whether that means they're 'mainstream' or not.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:11 am

Addendum: David Bowie may have looked all tore up at Fashion Rocks, but apparently it was stage makeup. Oh, David Bowie.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:20 am

At the risk of being called "serious" again I think the chances of something happening by "accident" again like Nirvana are very slim these days. This is because of the growing Latino/African-American population and tv and radio realizing the value of marketing to them. It's been said before that "rock is dead". Rock n'roll will never die. But I don't see an America where it will ever dominate the pop culture scene again.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:23 am

I think they're becoming more mainstream, but keep some facts in mind. Their album hasn't even gone gold yet (500,000 shipped). Their album peaked at #131 on Billboard's "Billboard 200" album chart. And they've had no singles chart at all. They don't have any singles on the current Alternative Radio Airplay chart (let alone the Pop chart). To be realistic, I think to be considered mainstream you at least need to have a song played nationally on commercial radio.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:26 am

i'm not sure of that. i think it's entirely possible to see rock come back into the pop scene. rock's not completely dead yet in the pop world anyway.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 am

Jake wrote:To be realistic, I think to be considered mainstream you at least need to have a song played nationally on commercial radio.

The Arcade Fire are played on commercial radio hereabouts....but I didn't know if they had that kind of exposure elsewhere.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:44 am

infectiousdisease wrote:The Arcade Fire are played on commercial radio hereabouts....but I didn't know if they had that kind of exposure elsewhere.

Sorry, didn't mean to be totally ethnocentric. I wasn't thinking about Canadia. But now that I look, I see that "Rebellion (Lies)" is at #24 on the Canadian Hot AC National Airplay chart with 251 total plays for the week ending 9/9/2005. Good for them! I guess they're mainstream in Canada anyway...

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:46 am

ms. infectiousdisease put it pretty succinctly, I think. "Indie Rock" (which I swear in another three years will have about as much meaning as the word "emo") has seen a resurgence lately with the OC/iPod set, and I'm happy that a few good bands are able to get some well-deserved attention in the process. Unfortunately, I don't think this will last, and at the very worst you'll end up having some homogonized, corporate, horribly obnoxious clones of these bands (see The Vines, The Killers, etc.).

Funny you bring up the Black Eyed Peas actually, because they used to be pretty good when they were a lesser known band, and hadn't yet embraced mainstream rap mediocrity. Another good example is Death Cab For Cutie. I'm happy that they got a major label contract (and hopefully some income), and are finally getting famous. Just as a little anecdote, back in 2001 they played in Richmond at some dingy little club and seven people showed up, now they're selling out much larger venues and getting music on TV shows. Good for them. At the same time, I wish my seat didn't get further and further from the stage everytime I see them, I wish they played more of their older stuff and fewer of the crowd pleasers, and I wish their ticket prices didn't keep going up. But I definitely don't want them or bands like The Arcade Fire or the Wrens languishing in obscurity so they can forever remain "my band." But the Black Eyed Peas, however, can bite my ass. If I hear "Lets Get It Started" one more time, I swear someone is going to get hurt.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:46 am

steve-o wrote:If I hear "Lets Get It Started" one more time, I swear someone is going to get hurt.

Steve-o, quit phunking with their hearts.

Return to “Rants and Raves”