Bukowski Factotum movie

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Bukowski Factotum movie

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:40 pm

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:40 am

I really like Matt Dillon and think he's a bit underrated as an actor, but he's a little too purty to be playing Chinaski.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:40 pm

I think it would be good. But what do I know, I think Mickey Rourke did a good job in "Barfly."
"To all my friends!!"

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:43 pm

I just got back from the UK a week ago. Really wanted to see it but plans fell through.

I disagree with Jaimoe; I think it's good casting. Let's face it, there aren't many actors ugly enough to play Chinaski. I'm guessing Dillon is a fan of Bukowski so can probably do him justice. I think it'll be good and am looking forward to seeing it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:56 pm

worpswede wrote:But what do I know, I think Mickey Rourke did a good job in "Barfly."

Agreed.

Cop: "Don't be sorry; just change your underwear."

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:47 pm

It could, it very well could be great, but, in a more likely scenario, it will fall flat on its face. And c'mon, Matt Dillon? That makes me question it. I think Bukowski's charaters are tough to replicate, which makes Rourke's aforementioned performance even better, and although Dillon's a fine thespian, Chinaski seems like a character it'd be tough for any actor to play.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:30 am

jaimoe0 wrote:I really like Matt Dillon and think he's a bit underrated as an actor, but he's a little too purty to be playing Chinaski.

actually, i've got high hopes for dillon. he's always been able to pull off drama great and has lent his talents well in the comedies he's been in. chinaski offers up a very humorus tragic character... and i think dillon has the talent to pull off that sort of balance. but beyond his acting... i really hope that the set design and cinematogrphy will do the story justice. it's gotta be a challenge to attack any story that's been consume by the public and personalized in their minds' eyes.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:55 am

Okay, I'm going to admit here, I've never read any of his books. What do ya'll suggest I read first?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:10 pm

I just watched the trailer, and I actually think it looks very good. If it ever sees a stateside release in theaters or on DVD I'll definitely be seeing it.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:16 pm

Tim wrote:Okay, I'm going to admit here, I've never read any of his books. What do ya'll suggest I read first?

I would suggest starting with "Ham on Rye" and then "Post Office". Of his poems, 'Sometimes You Get so Alone" or "Bang on the piano..." are pretty representative.

Return to “Rants and Raves”