Help the guys who got f*cked for leaking tracks

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Help the guys who got f*cked for leaking tracks

Postby redfieldp » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:23 pm

I've started an online petition in regard to the guys who leaked Ryan Adams' album Jacksonville City Nights. Sign if you agree, and pass it on!

http://www.petitiononline.com/FREETBY/petition.html

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:41 pm

You should post this to our link about it on the front page.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:53 pm

Jake wrote:You should post this to our link about it on the front page.

Done.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:28 am

signed it. i'm sorta getting sick of companies going after fans to make an example out of them. i buy a ton of cd's every year and am beginning to think that the industry doesn't care about alienating music buying fans like me. thanks for the link and post...

lastyearsgirl_

Postby lastyearsgirl_ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Cheers for that, I linked it in my blog this morning. It's a disgrace to prosecute a couple of genuine fans who got over-excited about a release and intended no malice in distributing the material in question, especially when there are people out there making a fortune in selling on pirated CDs and DVDs. Surely those are the ones who should be targeted, rather the kids in their bedrooms sharing music they can’t afford to buy on CD, who still go to the shows and are the very essence of the word-of-mouth that makes a band or artist? I am disgusted that this is happening in a fan community that I’d like to see myself as involved in

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:47 pm

lastyearsgirl_ wrote:Cheers for that, I linked it in my blog this morning. It's a disgrace to prosecute a couple of genuine fans who got over-excited about a release and intended no malice in distributing the material in question, especially when there are people out there making a fortune in selling on pirated CDs and DVDs. Surely those are the ones who should be targeted, rather the kids in their bedrooms sharing music they can’t afford to buy on CD, who still go to the shows and are the very essence of the word-of-mouth that makes a band or artist? I am disgusted that this is happening in a fan community that I’d like to see myself as involved in

Awesome! Link to your blog, perchance?

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm surprised that Lost Highway Records would do this. They have some incredible artists on their label too (alot of 'anti-establishment' guys like Willie Nelson, etc.). Just wondering why Ryan Adams hasn't commented on this. He knows how his fans freak out over every single thing he records. There is a shitload of his songs, demos, bootlegs etc. on the net.

Just my opinion but doesn't a "leaked" song create more buzz for the artist before their album comes out? Wouldn't that lead to more sales when the cd comes out?

I'd like to hear what Ryan thinks about this.

oh by the way...i signed the petition too!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:47 pm

Tim wrote:I'm surprised that Lost Highway Records would do this.

I'm sure Lost Highway had a hand in this, but remember, it's the United States Federal Government who is prosecuting these kids, not the label or even the RIAA.

Robert Thomas of Milwaukee and Jared Bowser of Jacksonville, Fla., were indicted under a provision of the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act (FECA) law that makes it a separate federal crime to pirate music and movies before they are released to the public, Memphis-based U.S. attorney Jim Vines and FBI special agent My Harrison said.

The indictments are believed to be the first under the prerelease provision of the 2005 FECA law. The men are alleged to have posted portions of Adams' "Jacksonville City Nights" on a fan Web site about a month before its official release last September.

[...]

If convicted on all counts, the defendants each face a potential of 11 years in prison. The case was investigated by FBI agents and is being prosecuted by the Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property Section of the United States Attorney's Office.

I too would be interested in hearing what Mr. Adams has to say about this... Can't help his credibility much. It'd be like ratting out your pot dealer in the 60s.

lastyearsgirl_

Postby lastyearsgirl_ » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Jake wrote:It'd be like ratting out your pot dealer in the 60s.

*snigger*

redfieldp - blog link is http://lastyearsgirl.pixlet.net. I pretty much copy-and-pasted what I wrote in my post there though, so don't laugh at me ;)

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Jake wrote:I'm sure Lost Highway had a hand in this, but remember, it's the United States Federal Government who is prosecuting these kids, not the label or even the RIAA.

Give me a break. You think the feds sit around looking for fan sites that leak album tracks? Also, the way they "found" the guilty parties was by tracking lost highway watermarks in the leaked tracks. I guarantee you that LH/Universal was watching fan sites, and nailed them the first chance they got. They just handed the evidence to the prosecutor. Without LH's help, there wouldn't be a case. Period.

Return to “Rants and Raves”