fuel for the rumor mill - Pumpkins to reunite!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm
Location: Oaktown

fuel for the rumor mill - Pumpkins to reunite!

Postby n8 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:04 pm

Yeah, so I'm still hangin' on to my old chums the Smashing Pumpkins and good ol' Billy Corgan. I even defended his solo record, for Billy Goat's sake!

But here's some <a href="http://www.netphoria.org/#reunion">REAL good news</a> for those of you who care...

A spokesperson for Azoff Management confirmed Thursday (February 2) that Corgan and Chamberlin have signed on with the firm as Smashing Pumpkins, and that the two are writing new music. A source close to the situation told MTV News that the duo plan to record over the summer and that the new Pumpkins could surface before the end of the year — however, no definitive plans are set.

Jake
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:42 pm

So, um, since Billy and Jimmy have already been playing and recording together since the Smashing Pumpkins broke up, how is this supposed to be any different than Zwan or Corgan's solo album? Just because Billy says so? Weird.

Mick
GLONO Board Playa
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:06 pm

Postby Mick » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:56 pm

billy corgon is a prime example of how sucess can ruin an artist. once you have all the money and fame in the world, motivation gets shot. he'll never do anything worthwile again. his attempts with swan, his poetry, and his please love me page in the tribune last spring we're all uninspired and lazy. my old roomate is friends with him here in chicago and says he spends most of his time playing video games (not that there's anything wrong with that).

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm
Location: Oaktown

Postby n8 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Jake wrote:So, um, since Billy and Jimmy have already been playing and recording together since the Smashing Pumpkins broke up, how is this supposed to be any different than Zwan or Corgan's solo album? Just because Billy says so? Weird.


cuz now it's under the name "Smashing Pumpkins" again, and that gives some of us high hopes of former glory.
You're right - they did both play together in Zwan and on one track on Jimmy Chamberlin's solo album (but not on Corgan's). Zwan was definitely a transitional period and Jimmy Chamberlin Complex is nothing like the Pumpkins.
So if it happens, this will very much be something new, with a new vision and a new sound, both of which should reference the past as well. Quit fucking raining on our parade, you haters!

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm
Location: Oaktown

Postby n8 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:30 pm

Mick wrote:billy corgon is a prime example of how sucess can ruin an artist. once you have all the money and fame in the world, motivation gets shot. he'll never do anything worthwile again. his attempts with swan, his poetry, and his please love me page in the tribune last spring we're all uninspired and lazy. my old roomate is friends with him here in chicago and says he spends most of his time playing video games (not that there's anything wrong with that).


#1 don't be such a dick
#2 it's Corgan, not corgon
#3 it's Zwan, not swan
#4 it's were, not we're
#5 Billy Corgan is not perfect by a long shot, and neither are you, and heck, neither am I. But don't run your mouth on something you know little to nothing about.
Last edited by n8 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Josh B. » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:03 pm

take it easy n8. Mick has as much a right to speak his mind about Mr Corgan as you do. I agree that Billy's gone down hill and the Tribune letter was pretty sad. I actually liked the Zwan album and hope he puts out another great guitar rock album, but as a whole he's been pretty disapointing lately.

hannahsmom
GLONO Board Playa
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:13 am
Location: florida

Postby hannahsmom » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Smashing Pumpkins COME BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Josh B. wrote:take it easy n8. Mick has as much a right to speak his mind about Mr Corgan as you do. I agree that Billy's gone down hill and the Tribune letter was pretty sad. I actually liked the Zwan album and hope he puts out another great guitar rock album, but as a whole he's been pretty disapointing lately.


That is so sweet, sticking up for Mick like that. It's nice to see you boys getting along.

--Ma

Josh B.
GLONO Board Mack Daddy
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Josh B. » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:13 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Josh B. wrote:take it easy n8. Mick has as much a right to speak his mind about Mr Corgan as you do. I agree that Billy's gone down hill and the Tribune letter was pretty sad. I actually liked the Zwan album and hope he puts out another great guitar rock album, but as a whole he's been pretty disapointing lately.


That is so sweet, sticking up for Mick like that. It's nice to see you boys getting along.

--Ma


I just have a thing about numbered arguments when I can't see the person actually counting on their fingers.

Jake
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:53 pm

If we're going to start pointing out everybody's typos and spelling errors, this is going to get very boring very quickly.

I think it's very likely that Mick is right and that Corgan will never do anything worthwhile again. Very few artists do anything worthwhile over a period of time of more than a decade. You know? I'm using the worth "worthwhile" very narrowly and critically, but it's the truth. The artists who can stretch out their greatest over more than ten years are the rare exceptions.

There aren't that many. Will Billy Corgan be one of them? Who knows. But odds are that he will not.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests