Neil Young urges Bush Impeachment

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Neil Young urges Bush Impeachment

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Thought some of the Neil fans would like this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060417/en_ ... e_young_dc

In a message crawl along the bottom of his Web site, Young drew parallels to two of the leading protest singers of the 1960s, saying of his new record: "I think it is a metal version of Phil Ochs and Bob Dylan ... metal folk protest?"

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Phil Ochs?! Neil, man, with all due respect, you ain't Phil Ochs. Dylan was never Ochs. I doubt he'd WANT to be Ochs. Besides, Ochs would have never backed the Patriot Act, dude. Honestly, I wish Neil Young would make up his mind:

"Living with War" appears to bring Young full circle from a more pro-Bush administration stance he took in the months following the September 11 attacks.

Not long after recording the song "Let's Roll," a tribute to passengers who apparently fought back against hijackers on doomed United Airlines Flight 93 over Pennsylvania, Young came out publicly in support of the U.S. Patriot Act.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:36 am

I was raised by the praise of a fan who said I upset her
Any girl in the world could have easily known me better
She said, "You're strange, but don't change, and I let her."

Neil wrote "Mr. Soul" 40 years ago, and it still applies. With almost every album and press release, Neil still upsets his fans who want him to make up his mind. Once again, his "head is the event of the season."

Is it strange I should change? I don't know, why don't you ask her?

And by the way, the Trans version of "Mr. Soul" is absolutely the definitive one.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 am

Neil is a hippie. Now, as much as I'm not a Joan Baez fan, at least she's consistent (the last I heard, anyway). Ochs and Baez had more in common than Ochs and Dylan.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:33 pm

The "metal version of Phil Ochs and Bob Dylan" comment is probably tongue in cheek.

Neil can be a little naive at times, but his underlying values seem pretty consistent. Whatever he says (or does) is 100% heartfelt at the time.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:51 pm

i think the fact that he was pro=patriot act at one point says a lot about this, hes not just "liberal weenie" or whatever the Fox news drones are calling people these days

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 am

My Neil Young Google alerts are going crazy these days (my in-box is filling up with articles from unlikely places as far away as Malaysia, India, and South Africa).

This is one of the best (so far)

Neil Young Is Living With War. Can He Rescue America, And The Rest Of The World, From It?

Could be innaresting. At this rate, maybe we'll even see the Archives by the end of the year. (One can always dream.)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:25 am

That's Howie Klein's blog, isn't it? Wow. Who knew he was so progressive?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 am

Jake wrote:That's Howie Klein's blog, isn't it? Wow. Who knew he was so progressive?

I didn't till now, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Trust Jake, GloNo and its posters to hook me up with this type of stuff! Thanks!

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:23 pm

All this makes me want to buy up all the Neil Young CDs I've wanted to but haven't bought yet, just to create a sales spike to piss off the neo-cons. Either that, or to purchase them before the Man censors Neil altogether.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Neil is still a Canadian citizen, or if he's a U.S. citizen? Not that it ultimately matters...

Return to “Rants and Raves”