Info on Elephant 6?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Info on Elephant 6?

Postby Tom4 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:48 pm

I'm just starting to discover the bands of the Elephant 6 Recording Company: Ladybug Transistor, Olivia Tremor Control, Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal, Elf Power, etc and I was wondering if anyone has any info on how these bands are all tied together or if anyone has any Elephant 6 links that might help out too. Thanks.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:01 am

Sadly, Elephant 6 is no more. I believe there's an earlier thread on this site to that effect. Jake, Derek, you got that info?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:06 pm

pogomockingbird
GLONO Board Playa

Postby pogomockingbird » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:15 pm

As far as tying the E6 bands together, that could almost qualify for a semester college course... But the long and the short of it is that Robert Schneider (APPLES in stereo), Will Cullen Hart & Bill Doss (Olivia Tremor Control) and Jeff Mangum (Neutral Milk Hotel) who apparently all met in Ruston, LA. When Schneider moved off to CO and the other 3 moved to Athens, GA, they would mail tapes of songs, musical ideas, etc, and eventually appear on each others' albums... Then they each met new bands (Beulah, Elf Power, Dressy Bessy, Of Montreal and many many more), started producing, and appearing on these bands' albums, and so on...

Wierd thing is Elephant 6 is a very loose group of musicians (Beulah's last was not associated with E6) and is not a label (Records were released on such labels as Merge, Kindercore, Flydaddy, Emperor Norton and quite a few on BAR/NONE and spinART) Elephant 6 is more a phenomenon than anything else! :) A collective of like-minded indie-pop musicians!

Sad they are no more, but as long as the bands are still playing, then all we've lost is a name...

mailboxing

Postby mailboxing » Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:22 am

yes, in the aeroplane... is a great album. jsut the other day i was listening to Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone from "On Avery Island"....and i drew a picture of the lyric "WE RIDE ROLLER COASTERS INTO THE OCEAN..." i think the pictures pretty decent, im getting it framed.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:02 am

Yea, I've had "In the Aeroplane..." for a while, I got it on a recommendation about a year or two ago and I'm just starting to get into it now.

Return to “Rants and Raves”