Thatta You Tube?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Thatta You Tube?

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:00 pm

No thatsa my tube! Whattsa matta this a you tube?
They better give them artistes they money!
Them artistes got mouths to feed!
Thatta you tube is takin' food outta the mouths of the muthas of they children!
I saw a Sesame Street video on there I did!
What if Jim Henson's hippie kids can't afford to buy good pot?
They should get money from thissa you tube!

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlein ... &type=qcna

BloodshotBaby
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:07 pm

shoot, i just hope they don't make youtube take down that awesome david bowie/tina turner pepsi commercial that i love so much.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 pm

From the Reuters article:

Record companies are keen to avoid repeating the mistake they believe they made when Viacom Inc.'s (VIA.N: Quote, Profile, Research) MTV was set up 25 years ago -- allowing their artists' music to be aired for free.

Morris in his remarks to investors on Tuesday said MTV "built a multibillion-dollar company on our (music) ... for virtually nothing. We learned a hard lesson."

They act like they got nothing from the deal! How many acts from big because they were telegenic and had wildly popular videos? I submit that Devo would have remained a niche band with relatively few sales if not for the "Whip It" video, and they are hardly the prime example. Can y'all think of anymore bands whose success was launched primarily by a successful MTV video? I think the labels made plenty off the free advertising.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:39 am

what about all those radio stations and stereo companies getting fat off of you work? sue those fuckers too!

the big record companies are in full panic mode. they're grasping at straws, trying to plug the holes in their leaking ships... they will lose in the end, because technology will always move a step faster than the law.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:26 am

Dipshits. Music videos are commercials for albums. They should be happy that places are running their ads for free. Sites should be charging the labels!

Universal pulled similar shit back in Feb 05: Universal Music Group Video Policy.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:56 am

creepy wrote:what about all those radio stations and stereo companies getting fat off of you work? sue those fuckers too!

the big record companies are in full panic mode. they're grasping at straws, trying to plug the holes in their leaking ships... they will lose in the end, because technology will always move a step faster than the law.

Radio stations do pay royalties to the various reporting orgs (ASCAP, BMI, etc).

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:41 am

what are the gonna do next start charging computer comanies because people download songs with em?
Virgin is talking a nice talk even though I hate music fests (I write this from work 5 minutes from Zilker in Austin/ACL fest)
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:08 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Radio stations do pay royalties to the various reporting orgs (ASCAP, BMI, etc).

The next issue coming down the pike is whether radio stations that stream over the internet owe artists extra royalties.

Whattsa matta youtube?
Why you looka so sad?
Itsa not so bad.
itsa nice place,
Ahhh shaddap a you face!

Speculation is that you tube will be bought by a large corpration at a price of one billion dollars.
That means The GloNo empire must be worth at least 2 billion.

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:43 am

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat May 23, 2009 10:09 am

[size=0][url]<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjwCryFfCxU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/url][/size]

Return to “Rants and Raves”