Are the Black Eyed Peas actually popular?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Are the Black Eyed Peas actually popular?

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 pm

Lefsetz: Box Office Shockers

Friday 8/25: Black Eyed Peas/Pussycat Dolls
Nikon At Jones Beach Theatre-Wantagh, NY
Gross: $358,551
Tickets sold: 7,051
Capacity: 13,855
Percentage sold: 50.9%
Ticket Prices: $59.50/$29.50

Sunday 8/27: Black Eyed Peas/Danity Kane
New York State Fair-Syracuse, NY
Gross: $212,491
Tickets sold: 5,985
Capacity: 16,400
Percentage sold: 36.5%
Ticket Prices: $52.00/$47.00

Tuesday 8/29: Black Eyed Peas/Pussycat Dolls
PNC Bank Arts Center-Holmdel, NJ
Gross: $278,009
Tickets sold: 8,557
Capacity: 16,417
Percentage sold: 52.1%
Ticket Prices: $55.50/$21.00

You'd think they could do better than that... Weird.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:46 pm

i assume they are, as they have pretty big record sells. at least with their last two.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 pm

No shit. But the question is: do record sales = popularity when none of those people are willing to go to your concert?

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Part of the thing here is "Who listens to the Black Eyed Peas?" Are their fans the kind of folks who are gonna drop $50 on a ticket? Do they have the money to spend? I thought those prices looked high, but I only go to dingy indie rock clubs cuz I'm so hip.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:06 am

i don't necessarily believe there is always a direct corelation between record sales and concert sales. you can have one or the other and still be wildly popular with a fanbase.

look at the grateful dead. never had a hit for twenty plus years, but always had a devoted fanbase and packed shows all the way. 'touch of grey' was their only hit. their record sales are probably decent, but that's given a long period of time and a couple generations of fans buying into them.

wtih the black eyed peas, i think their fanbase is more casual. probably people who liked their appearance on this or that sitcom, or liked 'that song' from a commercial they saw, or thought they were interesting on the award show they saw the other week. not exactly people that are going to carve out an evening to spend watching them perform all the other songs they skip over on the album when they listen to it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:28 am

vitas wrote:wtih the black eyed peas, i think their fanbase is more casual. probably people who liked their appearance on this or that sitcom, or liked 'that song' from a commercial they saw, or thought they were interesting on the award show they saw the other week. not exactly people that are going to carve out an evening to spend watching them perform all the other songs they skip over on the album when they listen to it.

Exactly!

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am

vitas wrote:wtih the black eyed peas, i think their fanbase is more casual. probably people who liked their appearance on this or that sitcom, or liked 'that song' from a commercial they saw, or thought they were interesting on the award show they saw the other week. not exactly people that are going to carve out an evening to spend watching them perform all the other songs they skip over on the album when they listen to it.

That's what happens when you write music for people who don't like music.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:37 am

vitas wrote:i don't necessarily believe there is always a direct corelation between record sales and concert sales. you can have one or the other and still be wildly popular with a fanbase.

look at the grateful dead. never had a hit for twenty plus years, but always had a devoted fanbase and packed shows all the way. 'touch of grey' was their only hit. their record sales are probably decent, but that's given a long period of time and a couple generations of fans buying into them.

you're right. another good example of this is tori amos. her cd's have never been gangbuster sellers, but her tours have done amazing business. her dew drop inn tour from 96 sold out in 6 days. she's always been a big touring act, which is why she is able to play some pretty big places depsite not having hit records. everytime she's played in town the shows have been sold out. muse is another good example. their recent show here sold out. the venue they played at wasn't super big, but it's not a small club either.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:56 pm

they target the kids. my 9 year old nephew likes them. he does not go to concerts though.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:29 pm

They're afraid that they'll see Fergie piss her pants on stage. That's why they're staying away.
It didn't help Blind Melon's career either when Shannon Hood decided to urinate on stage during "No Rain."
Note to bands: Take your bathroom break before going on stage.

Return to “Rants and Raves”