The Blindness Of George W. Bush & Co.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

The Blindness Of George W. Bush & Co.

Postby russ » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Sorry in advance GloNo-ers for the following rant.

What bothers me the most about President George W. Bush is not his:
a. Coming across as an idiot while speaking
b. His inadequate use of the English language (especially his use of the word "folks" to describe our enemies)
c. His appointments to the Supreme Court

No.
What bothers me to no end is his blindness in this War he has waged on Iraq.
For a few years now countless people around the world have agreed with the notion
that the Iraq War is going to end up as another Vietnam.

Unless you live under a rock, you know that people who lived through the Vietnam War,
both on the battlefield and at home, are still living with the effects of it.

America's involvement in the Vietnam War was a mistake, and we should have pulled out much earlier.
But we didn't, and thousands of more young men died. Senselessly.
Why?
Because America has this image problem.
Our Government and leaders seem to think that if you realize you might have made a mistake,
you can't admit it. At least you can't admit it publicly.
So they throw more soldiers at the problem, thinking that if we keep fighting,
things might turn our way.
It didn't work in Vietnam, and it isn't going to work in Iraq.

Bush is repeating the Vietnam War.
Except this time its happening in Iraq.
He is letting our young men and women die because he is too proud to admit he made a mistake
in going to war.
Iraq is not our problem.

Saddam Hussien was a murderer, sure.
But he didn't blow up the World Trade Centers.
Osama Bin Laden did that.
Has anyone caught Bin Laden?
No.
Do we ever hear about him anymore?
No.
Why?
Because we are too busy being spoon fed leaked footage of Saddam in court,
and then being hung.

Now Dubya wants to increase the amount of troops in Iraq.
Its kind of like a rich people throwing money at their problem child.
If you buy them everything they want, you can temporarily shut them up and they behave.

Except that theory doesn't work in a war.
He wants to send more troops, yet our soliders there have to buy their OWN armor.
I mean, how FUCKING ironic and sad is that?
We live in the fattest, richest country on the entire planet.
We have too much of everything, and we love it that way.
Yet we can't supply our soldiers protective body armor.
Stop the world, I want to get off.

Let me make one thing clear.
I am 100% behind our soldiers.

I have the utmost respect for them and their bravery.
They signed up to protect our country, and thats a noble thing to do.
They didn't choose to be sent to Iraq & fight a war that we have no business being involved in.
They are honoring their commitment,even though many of them
do not believe in what they are fighting for.

How many more dead soldiers are going to come home in caskets with
American Flags draped over them, until George W. Bush realizes that we CANNOT change
the Middle East by force?
You cannot (and SHOULD not) change the way a people have lived for a thousand years
simply because you think they should be like US.
Phil Ochs said it in the 60's in his song "Cops Of The World" and it still rings true today.
The USA are not the cops of the world, but people like George Bush obviously don't agree.

One day (hopefully soon, but I'm not counting on it) the Iraq War will end, and
we will have a new crop of disillusioned Veterans, resentful ( and rightfully so) of their Government
who made them fight a war they had no business fighting.
There will be marches, tears, movies, songs and children who grew up with
a missing parent, brother, uncle or aunt.

Will we learn from all this?

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:46 pm

It's just a right bloody mess we're in, and there are few good answers or solutions. Our President is basically an imbecile that was elected because of his name (a name that I was never very impressed with in the first place). Absolute imbecile... I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

I'm a small government libertarian. I'm no left-wing partisan. You and I may differ on platforms or solutions, but I think we can agree this guy has done more damage to our country... he will replace Warren Harding as the president that bad presidents get compared to for at least the next century.

poopville

Postby poopville » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Looks like he surprisingly is taking some blame for making bad decisions...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070113/pl_ ... cisions_dc

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:34 pm

poopville wrote:Looks like he surprisingly is taking some blame for making bad decisions...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070113/pl_ ... cisions_dc

Taking some blame?
I think he's always taken some blame, for once he's actually accepting some blame.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 am

Chris G wrote:

Taking some blame?
I think he's always taken some blame, for once he's actually accepting some blame.

Blame? What "blame" has he accepted? None that I can see. Accepting blame would mean that he publicly says "This war in Iraq was a mistake and it was my fault.....I'm sorry."

All he does is say tings like "I shouldn't have used this or that language." or "yeah, we made a few mistakes along the way."

These comments are carefully planned. The idea being that maybe he gets a handfull of Americans to take a few token pseudo apologies as meaning much more than that. After all, this is the guy who hired half of Nixon's fucking staff!!! These are people who escalated the Vietnam war and to this day argue that "liberals" lost the war! No apologies of any substance will ever come from these people.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:36 pm

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:
Blame? What "blame" has he accepted? None that I can see. Accepting blame would mean that he publicly says "This war in Iraq was a mistake and it was my fault.....I'm sorry."

All he does is say tings like "I shouldn't have used this or that language." or "yeah, we made a few mistakes along the way."

These comments are carefully planned. The idea being that maybe he gets a handfull of Americans to take a few token pseudo apologies as meaning much more than that. After all, this is the guy who hired half of Nixon's fucking staff!!! These are people who escalated the Vietnam war and to this day argue that "liberals" lost the war! No apologies of any substance will ever come from these people.

I was only making a technical correction to poopville's statement, who seems to have misspoke, so quote him in your response, not me.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Chris G wrote:
I was only making a technical correction to poopville's statement, who seems to have misspoke, so quote him in your response, not me.

those fucks in washington got me so mad I can't even quote straight.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:15 am

I think we should ALL buy hummers and wipe this oil supply out as fast as possible, so that we will finally be forced to develop alternate energies.

My take is that not only is Bush not the brightest bulb, but that the bright bulbs around him are stunningly ignorant.

As arrogantly and haplessly prosecuted as the war has been, what Bush's supporters recognize, and I agree with, is a rise of a kind of religious fascism in the Middle East, one with a ton of resolve, very close to having nukes, that can in effect hold the world's economy hostage. How we react to this is a matter of debate, but neither can we ignore it. The question is: where do you start? Bush started by pushing over a paper tiger (Iraq) with big oil reserves and strategic locale. For the results he's getting, it may have been better to go into Iran.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 am

Barabajagal wrote:Bush's supporters recognize, and I agree with, is a rise of a kind of religious fascism in the Middle East, one with a ton of resolve, very close to having nukes, that can in effect hold the world's economy hostage.

The world's economy is not hostage to muslim religious zealots. It is hostage to transnational energy companies. That is not an accident of history, it's by design. Both politically and economically.

Barabajagal wrote:How we react to this is a matter of debate, but neither can we ignore it. The question is: where do you start? Bush started by pushing over a paper tiger (Iraq) with big oil reserves and strategic locale. For the results he's getting, it may have been better to go into Iran.

The united states could be energy independent in 10 years if Washington implented legislation to force conservation and use of green fuels, development, etc.

Don't worry, though, we'll be bombing Iran any day now.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:43 am

We're not going to seriously invest in alternate energies until its crisis time or until it looks like big money can be made. It was ever thus.

The world's economy is not hostage to muslim religious zealots.

Not currently, no.

It is hostage to transnational energy companies. That is not an accident of history, it's by design. Both politically and economically

What does that mean?

Return to “Rants and Raves”