albums you've had forever and suddenly started loving

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

GLONO Board Mack Daddy

albums you've had forever and suddenly started loving

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:34 am

today, through several almost by accident listens, i started falling in love with matthew sweet's altered beast, a record i've had for over a decade, but never really listened to much. so i thought it'd be an interesting topic to start and see what records other people had similar experiences with. anyone have a record that collected dust in your collection and then suddenly "clicked," for whatever reason?

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:44 am

I had Super AE by the Boredoms since around the time it came out, couldn't understand it, chalked it up to getting fooled yet again by record reviews.

Pulled it out last year having completely forgotten I owned it and really got into it.

Same with the Animal Collective record, Feels. Another record I chalked up to indie hype of goofy bullshit until giving it a chance over a year later. It reminds me a lot of the first couple Mercury Rev records with even more crazy stuff going on.

I've even softened up about Wilco over the years.

It's cliche but sometimes it takes a while to listen to a record and say "It is what it is" and not what you want/expect it to be.

GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:23 am

I bought The Lonesome Crowded West back in '99 or so based on hearing "Heart Cooks Brain" on the Matador comp released back then, and I felt like I'd been suckered by Matador. I couldn't get into it at all, and if I did listen to it, I'd only listen to the first couple songs or so. It seemed like it went pointlessly all over the place and I couldn't wrap my head around Brock's vocal stylings or some of the goofy guitar stuff. Then I saw them live, and it all suddenly clicked. Now I think that album is one of the greatest albums of the 90's.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:24 am

Make mine Oh Inverted World by The Shins. I originally bought it when it was first released and did not understand what the hype was about. Because of it, I almost didn't get Chutes even after reading the same praise. Thankfully, I got it as a gift and immediately fell it love with it. I then returned to Inverted and understood.

GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:38 am

It took me a couple of years to appreciate Rjd2's Deadringer. Same thing with Stars' Heart. Now two of my absolute favorites.

Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:03 pm

there are three that come to mind:

suzanne vega - nine objects of desire

i tried to get into that one but really didn't like it at all but then later discovered just how good it is.

the innocence mission - umbrella

i had it on cassette since it first came out, but i really didn't just love love it. i replaced my copy on cassette with a cd a few years back and didn't really get into. here lately though i have discovered how good this cd actually was.

the housemartins - lodon 0 hull 4

it wasn't until i got this one on cd a while back that i really discovered it and i started really liking it.

GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby BloodshotBaby » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:19 pm

i've had many experiences like this, actually.

the two i can think of off the top of my head as being most significant are gram parsons' "GP/Grevious Angel" and the smiths' "Hatful of Hollow". i got these both for my 16th birthday, but didn't really pay them much mind for a while...i picked up GP again when i was 17 and began to love it...then just last year i decided to give "Hatful" another listen, and i fell hard and haven't looked back since.

Postby 100dBs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 pm

same for me with modest mouse. actually that same damn song suckered me in too, and then i eventually sampled "heart cooks brain." i fucking love lonesome crowded west, but i couldn't get into it at first, it was just sooo... long and sleep-inducing.

another album that i couldn't get into and then freaked the fuck out about: king geedorah - take me to your leader. at first i only liked 1 or 2 joints and then once i wrapped my head around it, it exploded.

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:04 pm

The Zombies Odyssey And Oracle.
Buddies had been raving like it was Sgt Pepper for years. I actually bought a sealed Rhino reissue LP about 10 years ago, then sold it back to the same store, like, 5 years ago. Maybe 3 years ago my band was playing a wedding and I had to learn a couple songs from that LP. I got the disc, but all I ever listened to were the 2 songs I was learning.
About a year or so ago, I finally hunkered down and gave it a listen. Man, I was knocked out! I was so overwhelmingly happy to have "discovered" this 30-plus year old gem so late in life. It'd been so so long since I'd had that feeling, like when I first learned about CCR, or The Who. Super. Can't imagine I'll have many more discoveries like that.

GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:07 pm

100dBs wrote:ooooh! same for me with modest mouse.

i may have to give them another shot. i bought that same record based on a friend's recommendation in about 2000 and i HATED it at the time. i've liked the few songs i've heard off their recent ones (especially that one off the moon & antarctica that was on some commercial) so i guess it's about time!

Return to “Rants and Raves”