Sanjaya Fever!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Sanjaya Fever!

Postby russ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:42 am

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:32 am

Saw that. I actually made Jolie get out of the bath and watch that on the Tivo. It's Sanjayamania!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:44 am

PS - Sanjaya's sister was looking great in the crowd. Reminds me of the Khajuraho temples. Those 10th century sculptors really knew how to portray women, heh heh.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:11 am

i saw on the front page of yahoo something about that. there is some talk that the whole crying fans thing was staged.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:09 pm

grounded5am wrote:there is some talk that the whole crying fans thing was staged.

Not according to the LA Times:

First things first: Who was the crying girl? After the show, I chatted with Idol’s newest superstar, the crying girl, Ashley Ferl, aged 13, from Riverside. For some long minutes after the show, Ashley remained in a state of inconsolable sobbing, unable to choke out a single word. However, through an interpreter (her mother) we were eventually able to learn some facts about the young superstar.

The family, I was told, obtained tickets on a website to attend a taping of “Smarter Than a 5th Grader” a day passage that included not just the taping of the show itself, but also the dress rehearsal of either “Grader” or “Idol.” The fates were kind, and the mother and daughter found their way to the “Idol” rehearsal, where Ashley’s waterworks began. Her prowess was quickly brought to the attention of “Idol” producers who summoned the clan to a ringside seat of honor at the final taping.

Her powers of speech slowly returning, Ashley revealed that while she was on stage she had been thinking that “this was the coolest thing ever.” Asked whom she was supporting in the competition she named “Sanjaya, Melinda, Gina and Jordin” as her picks, refusing to narrow her vote down to a single choice. All my journalistic powers of persuasion, cajoling, bullying and insistence that on her vote might turn the entire competition, that “Listen to reason, young Ferl, there can’t be four American Idols,” would not convince her to name a single favorite. To my every argument, she would only repeat her mantra, “All Four: Sanjaya, Melinda, Gina and Jordin.” And so the race begins in earnest, with tears at every step of the way.

Awesome. So great.

So I guess you could call it "staged" in that the producers saw her bawling like a 1964 Ed Sullivan show Beatle fan at the rehearsal so they stuck her up front for the taping... But those tears were SINCERE!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:18 pm

What in the fuck are you people watching?

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm an Old Skool Kat but two shows in a row focusing on music from 35 to 50 years ago seems like a huge tactical error. Who's calling the shots over there? 75 year old Clive Davis? The Diana Ross show featured a bunch of songs that black people smoked pot and scewed to in the early 70's.
How many fun Supremes songs were sung--one?
40 million people watching and the best they can come up with this week is Lulu? Both weeks the judges took it out on the singers as if it was their fault. You gotta mix it up baby! 80's one week then 60's then country then current then 70's. .Are they getting greedy and trying to get people in their 60's and 70's to watch too? Or are they trying to destroy the franchise? Somethin' ain't right here..I smell a rat!

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:29 am

I kind of agree with you - all season I've been wondering "why the fuck do they all sing these shitty songs?". You'd think young, aspiring singers would want to sing something that they might want to sing professionally. Instead they seem to pick mostly sappy ballads that would even be too lame for Celine D.

On that note - go Blake!

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:09 am

Jake wrote:PS - Sanjaya's sister was looking great in the crowd. Reminds me of the Khajuraho temples. Those 10th century sculptors really knew how to portray women, heh heh.

Not work safe--esp. if you work in an anthropology dept!

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Aw heck, if I lived in Riverside I'd cry tears of joy if I was able to escape, even if just for a couple hours.

Return to “Rants and Raves”