Trail of Dead vs. Interscope

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Trail of Dead vs. Interscope

Postby Jake » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Trail Of Dead Camp Discusses Interscope Split.

Funny rant.

So as has already been announced, …Trail of Dead has once again made history, this time being the first band to drop Interscope. OK, we’re not the first. Actually, Trent Reznor beat us to it. Let’s just say we’re the first rock band to do so… this year.

Ever since label head Jimmy Iovine started dating the lead singer guy of the Pussycat Dolls it became impossible to get him on the phone, so that was a first bad sign.

Then their idea of marketing became keeping it a secret that we’d released a record. The industry is in a strange place these days, and the only way they can make money is to sell urban pop music. Which is what I thought we were writing, but apparently I was wrong…

That's not saying the label didn't do great things for us. At the expense of a massive debt to them of half a million dollars, they really helped us to grow. They've taught us about the worthlessness of A&R people, how to yell at idiots running an art department, and how to shake hands with smiling retailers who have no idea who you are.

And I love Jimmy Iovine for having worked with John Lennon and Phil Spector on the Rock and Roll sessions. I mean, that was thirty years ago, and the Rock and Roll sessions sound pretty bad over all, and John Lennon is now dead and Phil Spector has murdered people since then, but hey, that was really cool that Jimmy did that, thirty years ago, back then, and dated Stevie Nicks.

He's had a great dating record, he just won't have the next TOD record.

With help from Mesh, Drowned in Sound.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:14 am

Yet another reason why I don't regret the death of the music business as it stands now. It has nothing to do with artists and everything to do with talentless hangers on.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 pm

this is true. the backlash could be bad, but i'm with you miss carol. i just there was a way for artists and labels to work together again. or artists and the music business.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:52 pm

I don't understand why a band like this would sign with a major in the first place. It's not like they didn't know how this game works...

I mean, come on. Steve Albini's "The Problem with Music" came out in 1994 and has been widely read ever since...

What the fuck did they expect?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 pm

you know, after i posted i was thinking something along the same lines. i wondered what they thought would happen. They're not interscope's biggest seller or anything close to it. so of course they're going to be low on the totem pole/food chain.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:25 pm

I think there's a lot of wooing in the run up to signing a band like this and the artists start to think it'll be different for them. They think that they'll get the sort of attention they're promised before they sign. The exposure you can get with a major is hard to turn down until you realize that it's most likely a sham and you're just an ornament they'll use to sign the next Clap Your Hands Say WTF?

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:40 pm

So.....are they going to quit the mallternative shit and start rocking again, or is that too much to hope for?

Return to “Rants and Raves”