Night Music

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Night Music

Postby jonas » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:09 pm

For a couple of years in the late 80s Lorne Michaels produced a show called "Night Music" that featured a crazy-haired David Sanborn hosting one of the most eclectic guest lists you'd ever hope to see, as well as obscure clips of great jazz and classical legends from the past. I have no idea why this show failed, other than, you know, they ran it at something like 11:30 on Sunday nights.

I managed to tape a handful of these shows on low-quality VHS, but have been waiting for some of them to make their way to YouTube as well. Below are a couple I remember fondly:

Crocus Behemoth and friends<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1hYqvtHzr48&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Sonic Youth, classic cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7PfaO_YZY
(embedding was disabled)
Last edited by jonas on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Leonard Cohen:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYJf4J7VBaY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:50 pm

great videos, especially the first one. i saw pere ubu perform last year, david thomas wasn't quite so agile. in fact he sat on a chair all evening. but his vocals were still as strong.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Tom4 wrote:...on a message board, feedback is everything. So if I post on how much I totally fucking love Okkervil River right now, and no one responds, the participation is killed, and the message board is killed. Feedback is integral for a message board to survive, which is the topic this thread has turned to, right?

I think I see what you mean.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 pm

I remember this, but only the Sonic Youth episode. Many of us were impressed that such a straight dude like Sanborn would invite a band like Sonic Youth on his show. And then he totally pulls a John Zorn on a old Stooges classic. Awesome. Speaking of, I could have sworn that Zorn was featured on one show, but I could be wrong. It seems like Night Music wasn't around for too long.
The Pere Ubu stuff was a revelation. Why was Thomas sitting down on a recent show. Was he injured? I always liked it when he walked around, looking like he was talking to himself. It seems that with him just sitting, a lot of that danger is gone.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:53 pm

jonas wrote:I think I see what you mean.

I hear you.

Looking back on several recent threads that did not inspire much comment, I'm noticing that a lot of them are youtube links with very little description in the post. My guess is that people are too oversaturated to click through without a compelling reason to do so. I might be wrong.

But my feeling is: if somebody's got something to say about something I post, so be it. If not, oh well. There's a bazillion other things to look at on the internet. What can we do?

That said, "Night Music" seems cool and I wish we had more real variety shows on TV these days. The late night talk show formula is so f-ing tired.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:51 pm

It might also be a work-related thing. Some can read but not play.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:54 pm

worpswede wrote:I remember this, but only the Sonic Youth episode. Many of us were impressed that such a straight dude like Sanborn would invite a band like Sonic Youth on his show. And then he totally pulls a John Zorn on a old Stooges classic. Awesome. Speaking of, I could have sworn that Zorn was featured on one show, but I could be wrong. It seems like Night Music wasn't around for too long.

I definitely remember Zorn being on there, playing some sort of nearly atonal stuff with Sanborn. I think it's about time to go through all those tapes and see what can be rescued.

The Pere Ubu stuff was a revelation. Why was Thomas sitting down on a recent show. Was he injured? I always liked it when he walked around, looking like he was talking to himself. It seems that with him just sitting, a lot of that danger is gone.

Like a lot of people I knew Pere Ubu on vinyl, but I had no clue until I saw him on Night Music that on stage he would act out a long internal monologue that mostly (but not entirely) coincided with the song lyrics. I really wanted to see them live, but I don't get the sense they toured much.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 pm

I heard of Pere Ubu in college but didin't know about this creamy fat feller
and his crazed antics. In fact I think Craig Finn from The Hold Steady may have borrowed some of his moves. I've been doing this character called "the Burnout" to amuse myself . He does the Craig Finn hand gestures. Sometimes he talks like the heroin scenester from Punk:Attitude who got beat up by Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious. The hand gestures work really well with Doobie Brother songs. But "The Burnout" claims to really love Robert Fripp. He talks about Robert Fripp in the voice of the stoned scenester from Punk: Attitude. But the fat Pere Ubu guy takes the cake because I'm a fat guy myself. Thank you so much for bringing his existence to my attention.

prestonian

night music

Postby prestonian » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:29 pm

Return to “Rants and Raves”