I just wanna be pure

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

I just wanna be pure

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 am

Jim Carroll, Dead at 60.

Saw him read in Ann Arbor in the early 90s and it was a moderately life-changing experience. Reading his Basketball Diaries around the same time as reading Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas definitely changed my attitudes about drugs.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:58 pm

I saw him open for J. Geils band in 1980 (?) or sometime close at Maple Leaf Gardens. I was 14 and unimpressed, but the friend I went with thought he was great. He must have been touring to support Catholic Boy because I remember he played "All My Friends Who Died." Didn't change my life, but it made it a little more interesting, which is all one can ask.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:47 pm

This shakes me. I obsolutely loved Basketball Diaries but was probably more moved by Forced Entries. I've also got a few of his spoken word albums with Praying Mantis being my favorite. I'm totally jealous that Jake got to see him in person. On certain occassions, I'll bring out a line from him to someone I haven't seen in a while:
"I remember you! You came in my mouth and it tasted like strawberries!"

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm

It's kind of a funny story. I was young and dopey, just getting into the Beats, and Allen Ginsberg was reading in Ann Arbor. So me and my homey PLP got tickets and drove across the state to the thing. Stopped in at a bookstore to buy a copy of Howl in case there was a signing afterwards. Turns out old Alien Ginsberg had come down with food poisoning in Buffalo (bad wings, we assumed) and couldn't make the gig. So instead we got to see John Sinclair, who was a total fucking joke. Bad "jazzbo" impersonation. (Looking back, he was like Mike Myers' poetry reading in So I Married an Axe Murderer.) John Lennon should've let him rot in jail.

But then Jim Carroll, who we'd never heard of, came out and read all these amazing stories about shaving his pubes and buttering himself and watching the crab slide off. Mind officially blown.

Return to “Rants and Raves”