Isn't it time for message boards to make a comeback?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Isn't it time for message boards to make a comeback?

Post by jonas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Streaming has changed my life, though I only use it to preview albums I might want to buy. We have a big Echo in the living room, so anything that catches my interest gets a few runs before buying. I do still buy, however, because artists don’t make shit on streaming.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am

I often finding sampling music doesn't always work like I want it to. I remember back in the day when record stores had listening stations and I would listen to records there to get a feel for whether I would like an album enough to buy. Because money was tighter back then for me somewhat. There were two records in particular that I listened to and didn't like much (one of which I didn't buy). Now, these records are two of my favorites. Suzanne Vega's Nine Objects of Desire and R.E.M.'s New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

These days, I find most new music through YouTube and an artist's respective music video. Or whatever they have out that constitutes that. I really do miss the days where music was almost escapable on TV, radio, abundance of record stores, and whatnot. Of course, It's still out there, but it just seems to be easier to avoid if you wanted to. Maybe that's me, but I was thinking about how much more prevalent it was back in the day. I was thinking about this last night as I was watching The Bangles' Hazy Shade of Winter video on YouTube oddly enough.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 pm

I cannot believe you're preaching the virtues of a Discman. That's fucking awesome.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:02 am

I love them!!! In the last month I've bought 3 off of eBay. They are variations of the same model somewhat. I like the model and the features are great, but the sound on one of the models is f'ed up. It's what started these awful headaches (I was having headaches before, but these made it so much worse).

I've tried two and they both sound so harsh and low. I got the next model up as it's slightly different and may be better. I hope anyway. I've got about 30 various discmans around the house. At least I think it's 30. They're not cheap. Especially the older in mint ones. I'm telling you collecting 4K UHD movies has turned me so old school it's not funny.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:23 pm

So...would you say the Discman is better than the Zune? (Sorry, I had to.) But seriously, I wonder which is more collectible at this point?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Hey man, no worries! I know I can be a handful. It's all good. To be honest and answer your question I gave up on the Zune. It was shortly after the last one came out. It was pretty revolutionary at the time with their artist bios and similar artists features on there. Sort of like a portable Allmusic database baked in. My depression was really bad though and I was sinking in. Though as much as I liked it I just went back to CDs and haven't looked back pretty much. I did jump on the Hi res DAP bandwagon when the Pono came out. However, even it wasn't amazing to me. When OKNOTOK came out digitally first about 2 years ago the Pono kind of crapped out so I upgraded. Had to for very personal reasons. And I still use it from time to time, but I still find myself going back to my CDs. So I would say the Discman would be my preferred choice.

And the Discman is probably more collectible. Some are going for upwards of $1,000. Sorry for the long winded answer, but this is a side of my brain that rarely gets picked much anymore and It is bringing me some much needed joy. I would love to jump in all the way with the Hi-Res DAPs, but I can't get rid of the CD and I can't bring myself to buy CD's and just load them onto the DAP and be done with it. I really am clinging to the old school model of how we listened back in the day. Even if the world has moved on. My world may have moved on and left me behind, but this is one area that I can keep the same. And I intend to.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Tell you what: it’s a great time to be a cd fan. I browse through the used bin at my local record store and you can find plenty of great stuff for under $5. And there’s always an interesting dollar bin. It’s like vinyl in the early 90s. I’ll never toss my CDs even though I don’t buy a lot of new ones.

You’re not alone with the Pono either. Our pal (and GLONO co-founder) Sab was into it! I don’t have the gear or the ears to really appreciate hi-rez although I buy SACDs when I see them in the used bins and can play them. Rarely do though.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:24 pm

I know. I just got my copy of the 5 disc/blu-ray 25th anniversary edition of R.E.M's monster. I like the packaging and I'm enjoying what I'm hearing so far, but I think I like these demos the least. Pretty much instrumentals. Which is cool, but not the most exciting.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:17 am

Jake wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 pm
Tell you what: it’s a great time to be a cd fan.
Indeed. I'm running vinyl now over cds at about 85/15 for purchases, but there becomes a point where it's just silly *not* to consider the cd version based on price point. A good example-and one that G5AM would appreciate-is Phish's Hampton Comes Alive box set which I picked up used for under $10. That fucker still lists for around $80. Some would say that even $10 is $10 too much for any Phish product but they'd be Bon Iver fans.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Yes. Good example. Another is one the new Omni record that came out yesterday. I got it today at my local record shop on CD for $8.99 before tax. I was there picking up the 2 lp Monster reissue I preordered. I almost always try to make my purchases in store to support the local shops.

Will be doing that again soon with the deluxe reissue of Prince's 1999 on the 15th. Also got the new Sturgill Simpson cd for relatively cheap today. It's been a slow year for me. Haven't found much to love or purchase aside from the anniversary reissues.