Life updates

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Life updates

Post by grounded5am » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:40 pm

After seeing Jake's email this morning I decided to start being more active on the boards and I thought I start with a life update/explanation. The reason I have been inactive on message boards is due to life circumstances. 10 years ago my significant other killed themselves and that sent me into a huge spiral. I became extremely depressed and frustrated with life. Living was a struggle and there are times when I didn't want to (still dealing with that).

Was on and off medicine with very little help. The things i used to do and love wasn't loveable anymore. Inlcuding music to a certain degree. Then about 2 years ago my support system fell apart when my mom died. That made things worse. Now, I still struggle with life and depression. Life just isn't fun anymore, but I try. So that's my update. Who's next?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Life updates

Post by Jake » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Wow that's tough. Hope you're getting professional help. My wife is a therapist and having someone to talk to can really make things better. Keep on keeping on!

My life has been thankfully uneventful compared to that! Just living the middle-aged dad life, dealing with typical #rump-era blues. The world is an awful mess but my day-to-day is pretty good. Got a 12yo son who's obsessed with Rocket League and Minecraft and lacrosse. He loves nothing more than to bust my chops for every silly thing I do.

Still trying to find good new music and not get stuck in the old guy rut. Throughout 2018 we posted something new to GLONO every weekday for the whole year. Got a little more laid back about in 2019 but we're still trying to uncover good stuff for our readers. My vision for GLONO is to be a spot where folks who wish there was still good music being made can check to find out that there is. We've got a little niche here and not a ton of readers but it's still kinda fun and inspires me to keep seeking out new stuff, which feels worthwhile.

Launched an instagram page a little over a year ago to showcase all the great photos we've taken over the years, and I'm still really disappointed that we've only managed to attract 348 followers: https://www.instagram.com/glorious.noise/ (Not 100% convinced that one is worth the effort, but our crew has taken so many good photos over the years that it seems shameful not to share them...)

But yeah. Just trying to stay positive in a fucked up world.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:14 pm

I am getting professional help, but I'm so fucked up that it's not cutting it completely. It helps, but this shit is rough. Glad to see your doing well. Reading your post gave me some ideas on ways to spice the website. Here's what I come up with:

- The website should do should a monthly or so write up/spotlight on different vinyl stores around the country. Letting people know they are still out there and how great they are.

- There should be more music/album reviews
- Every Thursday should have a throwback thursday where one discusses a particular song/single complete with pictures of said single. And go into the history, charting, and whatnot. I've been really digging discogs lately and I would read the shit out of throwback Thursday.

- A monthly if you like this artist spotlight where new musicians/artists are spotlighted. But in the vein of the similar artists feature on allmusic.

- New release roundup where certain new releases are spotlighted. A perfect one I thought would be mentioned was Dead Man's Pop.

- Spotlight on spin. It just like your spotlight on Rolling Stone
- 120 Seconds on 120 Minutes: a weekly 2 minute blurb spotlighting the show, artists, and videos on there. So many seminal albums from that period are hitting 30 or 25 and it would be great to spotlight those.

Thanks for the email. It has really brightened up my corners of hickory lane. By the way, have you read Liz Phair's new book? I heard it's great. I also heard she's working on a new album with Brad and Casey.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Right on. Here's the first taste of the new Liz (recorded with Brad Wood!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uF-kldIIQQ

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:13 pm

That's really good. I'm actually pretty excited for her new album now.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 pm

Oh man, grounded5am, I can’t even imagine. Glad to know you have found someone to talk to about it, but that’s a long, terribly difficult road.

Jake, I follow Glono on Twitter, and I’m still listening to new music. I acquire it a little more slowly than I used to, and typically what I do is buy four or five albums over a week, and then listen to them for several months. I just have less time than I used to for listening. That said, I’m way older than you guys, and perched on the edge of retiring. So in a decent place, I’m looking forward to spending more time with my wife.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't think you are that much older than me. I'm in my late 40's. It is a long and very terribly difficult road. My buying habits have dropped drastically with regards to music. I still buy music, but not as often as I used to. Having depression makes it hard. I still buy because it's how I cope with depression. However, I tend to buy more 4K UHDs than anything else. My finances got to the point though where I had to cut back on spending. Plus, I haven't really had much that has interested me enough this year that I've wanted to go out and buy. I still like music, but it's not the same. And I don't find the same enthusiasm for some of the artists I used to like. Such is life I guess. When I do shop it's usually 2-3 times a year and I go on a buying spree getting a whole lot of stuff at once. And there is the occasional impulse buy. Otherwise, It's always when I can get to the record shop. Glad to hear everyone is doing well.