New interview with Neil Young

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

New interview with Neil Young

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:21 am

https://www.wired.com/story/neil-young/

Great, wide-ranging interview but here's an interesting part:
Young provides the squeaky voice for grizzled, fedora-wearing reporter Clyde Coil. The videos’ presence on Neil Young Archives is likely the first official acknowledgment of Young’s mid-’90s online alter ego.

“Clyde Coil,” Young laughs, as if remembering a friend he hasn’t thought about in awhile. The name became his handle around the time he bought a stake in Lionel model trains, and he used it during his first forays into online forums. “They were some of my last ones too,” he cackles.

“I realized what it was,” he says. “It was an opportunity to really screw with things. That’s what’s so dangerous about it. Because you never really know who you’re talking to, advertising becomes subversive. It’s very weird. I don’t know what to think of it, but I took part in it for a while. I didn’t advertise that it was me. I didn’t want anybody to know who it was, though I didn’t really care.”

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: New interview with Neil Young

Post by jonas » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Wow is that packed with a lot of interesting stuff. His archive is intriguingly cheap, subscription-wise, but...not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole. But what in insane amount of energy he has.

ETA: the thought of him trolling people online under a pseudonym is awesome.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:00 pm

That trolling thing is funny and reminded of something that happened back in the day. When I was on AOL, I believe, there was someone I was chatting with that swore up and down they were Michael Stipe. I was never really sure, but I doubt it was him. This was all before the book by one of Michael Stipe's lovers came out, which was about 20 years ago or so. I haven't remembered this until now with this thread. It's amazing how you are reminded of stuff and what jogs your memory. This place has been a beacon in the 19 years since I found it. Glad to see it's somewhat back. Wish this place still had a merch store. I'd buy and wear the hell out of some shirts/hats.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Ha! I just wore my faded GloNo shirt the other day.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:52 pm

grounded5am wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:00 pm
Wish this place still had a merch store. I'd buy and wear the hell out of some shirts/hats.
This is still up, ha ha: https://www.cafepress.com/glono

We haven't sold any cafepress items since 2006! Back in the early days (2002-2005) we made a bunch of money (a grand total of $678.03!) from cafepress, which is pretty impressive considering the fact that we only made like $2 per item sold.

Anyway, if you do decide to get any of that crap be sure to use the coupon code HALLOWEEN15 for 15% off through October 29, 2019.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 am

OH MAN! Thanks for the link. I've got it up and will get something, hopefully, once I get paid this week.