Albums You've Got More Than 2 Copies Of

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Albums You've Got More Than 2 Copies Of

Post by worpswede » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am

Name the records in your collection that you've purchased more than twice or have more than two copies of. For whatever reason, replacement copy, gift, different format. It's pretty telling and it shows those records of such importance to you that you've committed to taking steps to ensure it sticks around.

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
The Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet
The Who-Live At Leeds
James Gang-Rides Again
Pink Floyd-Ummagumma
Pink Floyd-Meddle*
The Cars-Candy O
Spacemen 3-The Perfect Prescription
AC/DC-Back In Black
AC/DC-Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
T-Rex-Electric Warrior
Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experienced

*The record that prompted this discussion. I got a vinyl copy of Meddle for Christmas this year after I put it on an Amazon wish list. I typically put a Pink Floyd album on my Christmas list because I wanted to have their catalog through The Wall on vinyl. I was almost there, so I double checked my existing titles for the band before I put it on the wish list. Christmas Day comes and my new copy of Meddle is under the tree. I'm excited. I spin it. I let my cousin know of my xmas record haul and he responds "I thought you already had Meddle on vinyl. "Nope!" I confidently declare, having double checked before. A few weeks after Christmas, I want to hear Atom Heart Mother. Lodged in the gatefold sleeve of that record is...a pristine vinyl copy of Meddle. Turns out, my cousin was right.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Albums You've Got More Than 2 Copies Of

Post by Jake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:30 pm

Oh man, if we count all the albums I had on tape, then bought dollar-bin copies on vinyl, give away your entire record collection because moving sucks, regret it after you buy a big-ass house, cheap used cds, etc... I would imagine a large chunk of my collection has been re-purchased...multiple times.

The entire Beatles discography. Bought all of the original cds as they were released in 87-88, bought the 2009 remasters plus the mono box, plus a Capitol box (volume 1), plus various used Capitol vinyl over the years.

The entire Monkees discography through Head. initially purchased hits cassette, then all the records on vinyl (used original or Rhino reissues), then on remastered cd.

The entire Smiths discography. First on cassette, then cd as I could find them (mix of import and Sire), and vinyl as I could find it, and finally the 2011 Rhino remasters.

It just goes on and on like that.

But if we're just talking about vinyl...and records I currently possess multiple copies of...the list is way shorter.

Herb Alpert - Whipped Cream and Other Delights. 9 copies. I used to buy every copy of this I saw for less a dollar or less. I had a plan to one day wallpaper a room with it. I can't recall how many I had at my peak but I eventually decided it was stupid and just kept 9 copies, which I framed, and hung up on a wall.

Elvis Presley - Having Fun with Elvis on Stage. 2 copies. This record is stupid and unlistenable and a total Colonel Parker scam ("a talking record!") but I think it's funny so I pick it up when I see it cheap. Anybody need a copy?

Supertramp - Crime of the Century. 2 copies. I went through a (short) phase where I wanted to be a real audiophile and I wanted a clean copy of this album that sounded as good as I thought it ought to sound. Neither copy sounds as good as I had hoped it would.

That's it for duplicate vinyl.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Remembered another one:
The Stooges-Fun House

Holy shit. I'm glad you provided an explanation as to why you had so many copies of WCAOD. It would have been cool if in the middle of your wall of Herb Albert, you had a lone copy of Soul Asylum's Clam Dip and Other Delights parody cover.

The Beatles would have had more entries, but my original vinyl of them was with the American versions until Revolver.

The list can be across multiple formats, so it's not just only vinyl titles. I think it's amazing that you have full catalogs of artists with different formats. My only concern would be if you had multiple copies of Pool It!, so I'm glad you mentioned that it stopped with Head

And I never would have pegged you for a Supertramp fan.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm

My love of Supertramp is grounded 100% on sentimental memories of my childhood, playing with Hot Wheels on the dark green carpet of our living room floor, the sunlight pouring in through the sheer curtains, filtered through thick clouds of cigarette smoke, as my mom sat at the kitchen with an Old Gold 100 and a bottle of Pepsi, Supertramp on the hi-fi, records stacked so when one side finished the next one dropped down.

Listening to Supertramp takes me right back there.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:19 am

If we’re just talking vinyl to vinyl, pretty much most of the early Elvis Costello records, because I wore them all out. I also have doubles of some early Jethro Tull, because after I became a big fan, I discovered in an old record shop a bunch of the early editions that had weird foldouts, fake newspapers, etc.

I’m not even going to get into vinyl or cassettes that I replaced with CDs.... 😳

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am

My love of Supertramp is grounded 100% on sentimental memories of my childhood
Supertramp reminds me of childhood too. One of the first summer musicals I did as a kid (Kiss Me Kate) found a bunch of the male cast obsessing over "The Logical Song," to the point where one boy printed out the entire lyrics to the song as some kind of daily affirmation. It was the first time I ever knew the word "liberal" to have a negative connotation. Prior to that, it was always a nice word, like "I'd like a liberal amount of syrup on my pancakes."

At the municipal pool where I worked, the college-age assistant manager had a thing for Supertramp. He'd always play the live album "Paris" and a weird Tim Curry solo album that had the song "I Do The Rock."

I do confess that Supertramp's Crime Of The Century remains on my list of records to search for whenever I go to used record stores. I'm holding out for a cheap, clean copy-preferably a Mobile Fidelity Lab issue. I could never afford those as a kid and didn't have a system that warranted it.

I lost track of Supertramp after Brother Where You Bound, the record they did after the "Logical Song" guy left. They tried to enlist Pink Floyd's David Gilmour to replace him, but Dave knew a good thing when he saw it and started up the Water-less version of Floyd instead.
I also have doubles of some early Jethro Tull, because after I became a big fan, I discovered in an old record shop a bunch of the early editions that had weird foldouts
Nice! Tull is another one I keep a lookout for. I get the joke about them, but for my ears, the '69-'79 period was filled with incredible versatility and strange attempts to reinvent themselves, even after they developed a pretty strong identifiable sound.

I'm by no means a completist for either of these bands, but there's enough copies in used stores for both bands to get familiarized with these English Progressive types that managed to create a pretty unique sound during their heyday.

Thought of some other titles in my collection that are now at three copies:

Bob Dylan-Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde
The Cars-The Cars
Pink Floyd-The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Yaz-Upstairs At Eric's

And it looks like I've found a title where I may have four copies:

The Stooges-The Stooges