Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by DJMurphy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Jake wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am
DJMurphy wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:52 am
G5am, that Liz Phair WCSE is an awesome disc. Those first 3 Liz albums are unimpeachable, and Jake’s resequencing of the self-titled Liz album makes it pretty damn great, too!! I’m still not a fan of “H.W.C.”, but between the good songs on that disc and the 5 tracks on the Comeandgetit EP, there’s a great album #ForeverGratefulToJakeBrownForThatResequence #RescuedVictoryFromACapitolDefeat
Ha! Did I post that somewhere? I can't find it.

Hope everybody's hanging in there. It can be hard.

Have you guys checked out the new Fiona Apple? It's pretty intense.
I found it http://www.gloriousnoise.com/bb/viewtop ... 121#p72121 HERE.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks, Murph! Bummer that the comeandgetit ep is not on streaming services!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:23 am

I've still got the comeandgetit ep on CD if anybody wants it. Let me know.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:06 pm

How's everybody doing? I'm realizing how big a role the weather has on my mood in this situation. When it's rainy and cold out I get a lot pissier. But if it's nice out and I can do stuff in the yard and go for walks I feel a lot better. Been doing zoom calls with pals on the weekends too, which has been fun. Kind of accepting the likelihood that my kid's summer camps are going to get cancelled, which is a bummer. But overall I'm definitely not feeling as angry and hateful as I was six weeks ago.

Things are changing week to week. It'll be fascinating to see what happens in Georgia. Who knows! I have no idea how any of this shit really works from "herd immunity" to antibody testing. Happy to be living in a state when my governor at least tries to listen to experts and doctors and scientists. We'll see how it goes.

Spoiler alert: we're all gonna die! :)

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm

We might all die, but depending on whose suggestions for surviving this pandemic we choose to listen to (the President's mindless zombies vs. the scientists and doctors), we CAN choose whether we die in a shorter time period or if we stand a fighting chance to live to what was called "old age" in the pre-pandemic times.

Keep your chin up, my sisters and brothers; illegitimi non carborundun. This whole situation sucks donkey-scrotum, but if we let it crush our spirit, the Trumpers will have won and the world will indeed end sooner than later. That isn't a viable outcome. For me, at least. I mean, what kind of world would we be leaving to Keith Richards and Ozzy? Do it for Keith!!! ;)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri May 01, 2020 9:51 am

Yes, I truly hope we all live a long and happy life for many more years. Is it bad to hope that the clowns protesting the stay-at-home order all die quickly without receiving medical attention?

Week 7 for us here in Michigan. It's hard for me to remember the timeline because time itself seems to have become warped and weird.

March 10: Governor Whitmer declares a state of emergency.
March 12: Whitmer announces closure of K-12 schools, effective March 16, for three weeks.
March 23: Whitmer announces stay-at-home order, effective March 24 at 12:01 a.m.
April 9: Whitmer extends the stay-at-home order through April 30, adds new restrictions.
April 24: Whitmer extends stay-at-home order to May 15, lifts some restrictions.

Those are the biggies, from a state government-response perspective. It's funny looking back I have no recollection of a two-day gap between the state of emergency and the closure of the schools. And that 11-day gap between the school announcement and the stay-at-home order is a blur, too.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic lately. Not sure if there's any reason behind it. But I've been keeping a close eye on the death count in my county, and although it doesn't look like we've peaked yet, our rate of deaths has been flat as fuck with a max of 4 in one day, which you know, is sad, but seems entirely manageable. I'm guessing our strict adherence to rule-following helps, ha ha. But it seems to me that the low death rate means either COVID isn't nearly as widespread as I had initially feared, or it's not nearly as deadly. Right? Either way, that's probably better news than I was expecting.

Regardless, this shit has highlighted the gross incompetence of the current administration (shocker!) and exposed the awful inequities in our healthcare system. Which is still a huge bummer.

But hey, that new Mountain Goats album is helping a lot. Especially this song:

Hail Cybele!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am

Week 8.

This week my 13yo pointed out that stay-at-home is starting to feel normal now. I agree. I miss going to restaurants and bars and stores and shows but because of Zoom I'm actually talking to and "seeing" more of my friends than before covid. So that's unexpected but cool.

I'm still trying to keep myself from busting my kid's chops too hard for playing videogames too much and screwing up the tiny amount of schoolwork that he has been assigned. I've been pretty disappointed with his school's switch to online learning. It's super disorganized with very little leadership or direction which is obvious in the way each teacher does their own thing in their own often confusing way. And there's hardly any communication/visibility for parents to see what's been assigned, what's expected. Real time, face-to-face, zoom-type classtime for my kid is maybe an hour per week total, and most of that is math; the other teachers host "check-ins" where a handful of kids apparently pop in and say hi for five minutes. I know most of these teachers have their own children they're dealing with at home, but wtf? And I know the 7th grade curriculum is not the most important thing in the world. We're in an extremely well funded district so there's really no excuse. I can't imagine what it's like in underfunded districts. Maybe my expectations are too high. Or maybe I'm just an asshole. Who knows!

It's going to be very interesting to see how things go in Georgia and other states that are "opening up." I'm glad to live in Michigan although I am not appreciating the unseasonably cold temperatures in the forecast...

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri May 08, 2020 11:14 am

Our whole family seems to go through mood swings, sometimes doing a full cycle in a couple of days.

We are lucky that our 16-year-old daughter, who is the most unhappy with being stuck at home, is able to work a couple of weeks at the stable she rides at...she’s not being paid, but she and a couple of other girls take turns going there and feeding and watering horses, and taking some of the more tricky horses out for rides to keep them settled. She’s at most around one other girl at a time, and they have masks, so reasonably safe I think.

The tendency of all three kids-I called them kids, but they range from 16 to 21-is to wanna isolate a little bit and be online with their friends. We’re fighting that by making them play board games with us, and I can’t believe this, but I’m going to implement a movie night.

The oldest boy goes to UMass Amherst, and in lieu of doing a lot of classwork, they just loaded them the fuck down with a ton of projects. He just finished all that up yesterday, and played Mario kart for three hours straight.

I’m looking at the unemployment, and hearing from friends who work in healthcare, and feel both privileged and lucky.

I’m glad you started this thread, I like to hear what other people are doing. Thanks for that.

PS I saw that Jake got a response from John Darnielle, that was pretty cool. 🙂

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon May 11, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm finally back at work for a longer period of time than 1 to 2 hours. However, I'm still not here full time. So far, I'm doing okish. One of my sisters comes over for social distanced movie watching. So far we've watched A Few Good Men on 4K, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood on 4K, and Collateral Beauty on Blu-Ray (I still have my movie collection thankfully). My mood isn't too much better though. Between my meds messing with my hormones and my sinus infection messing with my head, it gets to you after a while. But I have to learn to channel some of that energy in other directions and not let my feelings (hormonal or otherwise) get in the way. I've been spending a lot more time watching music videos on MTV. I've even been recording 120 Minutes to watch as well. Feeling like a teenager again. Patty Griffin's old newish album from last year has helped me a lot. It's the longest I've played anything during this aside from Tori's From the Choirgirl Hotel.

I do realize that I don't have nearly the amount of issues others are faced with, but I still feel like my issues can tend to weigh me down. And some of that is on me. I just need to readjust my view and work on new perspectives. Do new things and stop holding onto old patterns. Even in this lockdown. I think the best thing we can all do is do a little rearranging. Sometimes a subtle shift makes all the difference. Hope everyone out there isn't going nuts or feeling as down and blue. We are all dealing with this in some ways together. Even though we are apart. We need to reassure each other that things will settle back into some sort of normal pattern. Maybe not the normal we knew, but still normal all the same. I've gone through new normals in these past 11 years (almost) so it won't be anything new for me. LOL.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue May 12, 2020 9:42 am

Hang in there, g5! We're going to get through this.