Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by jonas » Wed May 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Sounds like you're thinking about it in a healthy way, g5a, even if it’s tough going. Glad to hear you’re somewhat back at work, keep checking in here at GLONO, the three of us will keep the message board alive. :-)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Don't forget Murph! 4!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Thu May 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Four indeed! My apologies.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Fri May 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Week 9, folks. How ya holding up?

I feel like the natives are getting restless. On the one hand it's feeling more normal to not leave the house, but on the other hand it's getting harder with no real end in sight. No coherent plan.

Personally, I'm getting a little sloppy with my distancing. For example, my father-in-law came over this week to pick up a table saw. I helped him load into into his truck without really even thinking about it, and we weren't wearing masks and definitely did not keep our six feet. Which makes me wonder if we're just getting more and more willing to accept 1,800 deaths a day as the status quo. Which is...well, yikes.

Starting to worry more about my dayjob as the industry is taking a beating. It seems insane that giant corporations are laying people off in the middle of a pandemic, but that's what giant corporations do. I can't even imagine how bad it would suck to lose my job (and insurance) at a time like this. I know a lot of people are already in that boat and I feel for them. Here I am whining about missing brunch while people are really hurting out there.

Still haven't gotten any notification that my Jason Isbell concert in June has been cancelled or rescheduled, but it can't be long now, I assume...

So anyway, those are my thoughts for another Friday in lockdown. Keep on keeping on, everybody!

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 pm

I got one of those music text updates a while back and managed to quickly grab two front row seats to Steve Earle on June 12th. At this point I’d just as happily skip it, but I sure would like to get my money back. if he does end up holding it, not sure I want to go.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

I've smoked more pot during the month of April 2020 than I've ever smoked in my entire life. I've switched from combustible flower to vape cartridges just to be a bit more clandestine with my increased intake. I alternate between indica and sativa strains during the day to provide specific enhancements to my new work-from-home lifestyle. It helps to cloud over the week and numb the reality that at least half of this country is actively out to destroy our union. I got a great big jug of Crown at Costco while stocking up on toilet paper, coffee and beef jerky, but have yet to open it. My wife has been all about the take-out margaritas and white claw variety packs. She rarely smoked weed before this year and has now become a daily user. She prefers the weed with cute names like honeydew lemon purple panda sasquatch and may have even downloaded the Leafly app.

When I'm not high, I alternate between existential dread and anger. The most vicious thoughts are focused for Republicans. Iowa's governor has provided nothing but vague directions and questionable data, blatantly shilling for her donors, her president, and her far-right constituents. I keep reminding myself to be patient, that statistically things will swing back to more reasonable and progressive governance, but it's easy to be distracted and overwhelmed by the blatant ignorance that rules our country at the moment. I'm very appreciative that my Dutch-owned company has advised us that they will not be listening to local, state or federal guidelines and will continue to follow work-from-home protocols until they deem it to be safe for their employees. When we do return, it will be slow and staggered. The company has already declared 2020 a shitshow, so they've implemented aggressive expense savings measures to try and stop the financial bleeding. I am taking on a new role next week that is a lateral move for me, but more "essential" to the company with hopes of maintaining a bit of job security while they cut costs.

I worry about the kids. My 16yo son is showing signs of restlessness and has been more vocal about going out. I can't blame him, but I'm grateful that he isn't pissy about being told "No." He's just wrapped up his school year with "virtual" classes that were slopped together by the school district to show compliance with State testing. My 13yo daughter has been hogging up the bandwidth with gaming and I heard her trash talking someone the other day with "Girl, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about!" I let it go. There was no real coordinated effort by the school district to salvage any remaining part of her school year.

I miss my (extended) family and friends. I worry for their well-being. I miss going to shows, record shopping and dining out. So far, Parquet Courts, Robyn Hitchcock, and some Andy Warhol film event scored by Kim Gordon have all been cancelled. Jerry Seinfeld's show next month has been postponed. We're still on for Fred Eaglesmith (June 12th-so on the fence with this one), Squeeze, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Vampire Weekend for later in the summer.

I'm nearly to the point of not giving a shit about HBO's Westworld after the disappointing S3. I've tried to binge Ozark, but I haven't been able to fully commit to it. I was more impressed with Better Call Saul, which also presented itself as a pandemic favorite. Otherwise, it's you tube car restoration shows or lawn care care videos. I'm also present during the Grateful Dead streams of their old shows, much to the dismay of my family. I hear constant ridicule from them about the length of their songs and the shortness of Bob Weir's shorts.

Like Husker Du said, you gotta keep hanging on.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks for the update. I totally get the existential dread and anger. It doesn't feel healthy to be carrying around these bad vibes. Using a chainsaw around the yard is the only thing I have found that really helps.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here in Michigan with the governor "opening up" the northern region. There are several very, very good restaurants in Traverse City (as well as a historic movie theater owned by Michael Moore). My family often drives up there to walk around and eat in the summer. But I think I will be holding off for at least a couple of weeks to see how it goes... As much as I would love some Mama Lu's tacos or the pulled pork sandwich from Taproot, I'm not quite ready to be that close to people...

But I trust that my governor is making decisions backed by science and that she cares about the lives of old people and black folks, so I'm really hoping it goes well.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Sat May 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Jake, I gotta ask you, have you or your loved ones been affected by the massive flooding in Central MI?

What's Derek Phillips up to these days? Anything musical? You guys close at all these days?

Poor you, you've gotta deal with both massive rains and Da Pretender Prez visiting you (Trump).

Here in MurphTown, we had to say goodbye to our cat Simon, which hurt. He was such a great cat. I discovered one of my grade school brothers died of a heart attack in Arizona. No proper goodbyes to him, although he knew I loved him, so there's that. I sometimes wonder if they are the lucky ones, that they no longer have to have front-row seats to the shit show. But then again, they won't be able to witness life's little beautiful moments anymore, either. Like seeing John San Juan play a live stream event last night and seeing him play me the Hushdrops song "Macho", and dedicate it to me. Absolutely priceless moment. He then played my all-time favorite Hushdrops song, "Vague". It was a one-two punch of amazing music.

BRING BACK LEPPOTONE ELECTRICAL RECORDS!!!