Punk documentary on Epix

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Punk documentary on Epix

Post by Jake »

Anybody watch this?

https://www.epix.com/series/punk

I was a little apprehensive at first and had been avoiding it because one of the producers (along with Iggy Pop) is John Varvatos. Varvatos, you might remember, is the douchebag fashion designer who bought CBGBs and turned it into a high-end boutique. My fears were silly. It's really good. And if Ian MacKaye is participating, you know it has to be righteous, right?

It starts in Detroit, as it must, with the MC5 and the Stooges, and then spends the rest of the first episode (of four) in New York. The second episode is primarily about the U.K. The third focuses on DC and LA hardcore and the fourth finishes up with the 90s (Nirvana, Epitaph, Green Day, etc.). Lots of fun footage, and the present-day talking-head interviews were smart, insightful, and funny.

We can (and should!) squabble about stuff they left out or glossed over, but overall I liked it a lot. Would be interested in hearing your opinions.

Also, when did John Lydon turn into Jabba the Hutt?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Punk documentary on Epix

Post by jonas »

Unfortunately we don’t get EPIX, but I’ll check it out once it's available. Thanks for the heads-up!