Songs that give you shivers.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

goldwax
MOJO Freak

Songs that give you shivers.

Postby goldwax » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:17 pm

I'm a jaded 35-year-old but it's nice to know that a song can still send chills down my spine and make my hair stand on end.

Happened again last night. I had on disc 2 of the Coasters set on Rhino and I've listened to this many a time, so few surprises. But we had people over for dinner, and so I wasn't really paying much attention. All of a sudden, this dirty low-down sax comes on, playing basically a one-note riff, the kind that hits you right in the gut. No one else noticed, but I sat on my chair, transfixed. It was only when they started singing that I realized it was "Down in Mexico," a song I know well. I guess that sax just hit me at a primal level and all higher functions were on hold. The chills kept up through the whole song, which I heard in a new light.

Anyone else get chills recently?

ROBOTBOY
MOJO Freak

Postby ROBOTBOY » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:13 pm

I've always liked Van the Man doing 'Into The Mystic'.... last week at
Summerfest Joe Cocker was in fine form, and building up a head of steam...
suddenly the melody of Into The Mystic hit my ears, and we were all blown away by Joe's rendition.

live shows seem to have that X Factor, and can surprisingly give ya a shiver.

Chess Checkers
MOJO Freak

Songs that give you shivers

Postby Chess Checkers » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:56 am

"Cançion Mixteca" still gives me shivers everytime I listen to it.
It may be difficult to watch "Paris, Texas" in 2003, but its music is still glorious, especially that tune sung with a trembling voice by Harry Dean Stanton.

And I don't understand a word of it...

Velvis
MOJO Freak

Postby Velvis » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:15 am

A lot of Nick Cave's stuff creeps me out delightfully and makes my hair stand on end.

"Tupelo"
"Red Right Hand"
"Do You Love Me", etc.

Jimbo
GLONO Board Playa

Re: Songs that give you shivers.

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:58 am

goldwax wrote:I'm a jaded 35-year-old but it's nice to know that a song can still send chills down my spine and make my hair stand on end.

Happened again last night. I had on disc 2 of the Coasters set on Rhino and I've listened to this many a time, so few surprises. But we had people over for dinner, and so I wasn't really paying much attention. All of a sudden, this dirty low-down sax comes on, playing basically a one-note riff, the kind that hits you right in the gut. No one else noticed, but I sat on my chair, transfixed. It was only when they started singing that I realized it was "Down in Mexico," a song I know well. I guess that sax just hit me at a primal level and all higher functions were on hold. The chills kept up through the whole song, which I heard in a new light.

Anyone else get chills recently?

Who is the Coasters' yakkity saxist anyway? Is it Elvis's fav, Boots Randolf?

Richard Thompson song where he goes Those love letters you wrote/get pushed back down your throat/and leave you chokin'... makes me scrunch up my face, ball up my fist, crunkle up those old cursed letters and...ugh!

goldwax
MOJO Freak

Re: Songs that give you shivers.

Postby goldwax » Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:31 pm

Jimbo wrote:
Who is the Coasters' yakkity saxist anyway? Is it Elvis's fav, Boots Randolf?

That's an interesting question. Off the top of my head, I would have said King Curtis, and I would have been right, but only starting with the first single recorded in NYC, Yakety Yak. Doing some research just now, I learned that most of the earlier records were cut in LA (though one was cut at Chess studios!) with a guy named Gil Bernal on tenor. So it is he who lit my fire in Down in Mexico. Interestingly, he was a jazz player who had played with Lionel Hampton and the wacky Spike Jones. He was also the sax player on Duane Eddy's Rebel Rouser and has been involved in several of the Buena Vista Social Club projects. Interesting guy. Thanks for making me look into that, Jimbo!

Billybob Dylan
MOJO Freak

Postby Billybob Dylan » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:20 pm

Tom Waits' "I Beg Your Pardon" from the "One From The Heart" OST gets me every time.

Tim Tufnel
MOJO Freak

Postby Tim Tufnel » Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:52 pm

'Can you hear me' David Bowie, Young Americans LP

elpresidente
MOJO Freak

Postby elpresidente » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:17 pm

ROBOTBOY wrote:I've always liked Van the Man doing 'Into The Mystic'.... last week at
Summerfest Joe Cocker was in fine form, and building up a head of steam...
suddenly the melody of Into The Mystic hit my ears, and we were all blown away by Joe's rendition.

live shows seem to have that X Factor, and can surprisingly give ya a shiver.

Joe did a verson of "Into The Mystic" on an album a few years ago,A little m.o.r.,but a voice made for the song/vice versa.

Underpant Man

Postby Underpant Man » Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:54 pm

I Misunderstood by Richard Thompson

Thank God I'm not the only one who's ever mistaken a casual fling as the real thing.

Return to “Rants and Raves”