Video: Vampire Weekend – "Giving Up The Gun"
I think they’re trying to get the “cool” people to hate them. Vampire Weekend‘s latest video off Contra features a tennis tournament directed by The Malloys with cameos from Lil Jon, RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan, Jake Gyllenhaal, and a Jonas Brother. RZA plays the judge. Lil John plays a French speaking coach. Ezra Koenig makes eyes at the camera, doing his best to look as dreamy as possible.
Bourgeois trappings aside, Robert Christgau correctly points out that despite attending Columbia this is “no closer to ruling-class power than it is to the affluence of the average American geekboy who gets to insult music he resents online.” Still, indie blog Hipster Runoff has predicted that VW will be 2010’s Kings of Leon. Next stop: The “Today” Show for a morning concert? We’ll see…
Vampire Weekend: iTunes, Amazon, Insound, wiki
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: just because it’s been months since we’ve done a Forkcast update, it doesn’t mean we haven’t been paying attention.
• Tobacco ft. Aesop Rock – “Dirt” from Fucked Up Friends, due later in 2008
• Wolf Parade – “Call It a Ritual” from an upcoming full-length, title TBD, due 06/17/08 from Sub Pop
• Architecture in Helsinki – “Like It Or Not (El Guincho Remix)” From the Like It or Not EP, forthcoming from Polyvinyl
• Radar Bros. – “Slack Motherfucker”
• Os Mutantes – “Mutantes Depois” from a forthcoming album, expected in late June 2008
• Free Kitten – “Seasick” from Inherit, due 05/20/08 from Ecstatic Peace
• Stereolab – “Three Women” from Chemical Chords, due 08/18/08 worldwide (except for the U.S.) and 08/19/08 in the U.S. from Duophonic UHF Disks/4AD
• The Chap – “Carlos Walter Wendy Stanley” from Mega Breakfast, due 07/01/08 on Ghostly International
Lots more after the jump…
Continue reading Fun with Forkcast, Round 9