There is a bunch statistical gobbledygook in Billboard’s breakdown down Q1 music sales, but we’ll try to make sense of it. The gist: CD sales are down, digital sales are up but they still don’t make up for the lack of CD sales. Compared to the first quarter of last year:
• Total scans, including digital tracks, are up 14.9% to 386.3 million…
• Individual track sales are up 28.7% to 281.4 million.
• If track downloads are converted into albums at ten tracks per unit (albums w/TEA), album sales are down 4.5% to 132.7 million units.
• Excluding TEA albums, within overall albums, digital albums are up 36.2% to 15.7 million.
• CD albums are down 16% to 88.4 million.
• 975,000 people love Jack Johnson.