songs with pauses.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Lep » Wed May 19, 2004 11:28 am

duh-duh duh-dum ... Wild Thing, I think I love you
duh-duh duh-dum ... But I gotta know fo' sho'
duh-duh duh-dum ... Come on, hold me tight
duh-duh duh-dum ... I love you

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby nobodygirl » Wed May 19, 2004 11:45 am

jake said:
Speaking of which, how's about you go update that thread with your final tracklist? I'm sure we'd all be interested.

i will as soon as Boy gets his computer set up again. i wrote & saved it on his computer in order to make a fancypants cd case. as i have often noted before my computer is from 1976 and in addition has no printer.
however: there are a couple people on this board who recieved copies of that mix. if either of them would like to step forward and update, that would be swell too.
Last edited by nobodygirl on Wed May 19, 2004 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Wed May 19, 2004 11:46 am

I used to be in this tech-metal-ish type band and the pause was one of our best friends. When you're trying to do like 10-12 different parts per song with all different time signatures, the pause can be one of your saving graces. It's also great for making everyone think the song is over (depending on how long you make it), and then you come back and destroy them with a badassed breakdown.

BandyLou

pause

Postby BandyLou » Wed May 19, 2004 12:18 pm

noise annoys - buzzcocks [been a long time, but i think pete even says "stop" and "go" before + after some of the pauses ?]

outta love again - van halen [with a great alex ding-boop 2 beat drum fill]

freestyle fellowship has one offa their first album... jupiter's journey i think?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Re: songs with pauses.

Postby steve-o » Wed May 19, 2004 12:24 pm

nobodygirl wrote:hello people, i am in need of your help again. y'all may remember i asked for song suggestions of a certain nature a while back. my little sister, delightful creature that she is, has now challenged me to make a comp of songs with pauses. dramatic ones. like in the middle. the only one i can think of right now is possibly the Worst Example Ever:

(pause) ( fake drum thump) "and IIIIIIIII--EEEEEEYIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUUU..."

I think what makes that song worse is that she mixes it with a key change for even dramatic effect. Oh wait, I mean suck effect.

But as far as good songs with pauses go, how about "Should I Stay or Should I Go" by the Clash?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed May 19, 2004 12:30 pm

amy the wineaux wrote:I may be kicked off glono forever for this one, but I'm listening to this song right now = Hall & Oates, "She's Gone".

Heck no, Amy. We all love H&O. Especially Mac. "She's Gone" and "Sara Smile" are both soul classics, as far as I'm concerned!

amy the wineaux
GLONO Board Playa

Postby amy the wineaux » Wed May 19, 2004 12:41 pm

Thanks Jake. I can always feel the love. So here is a question for y'all, albeit a tangent from this here thread.

The song, 'I'm not in love' by 10CC, (another AM radio classic) I always thought the song was about someone trying to convince a lover (as well as themselves) that they were not in love, but actually they are. A close friend disagrees and said it is straight forward song about not being love. Any deep down background on this one?

trainwreck
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby trainwreck » Wed May 19, 2004 1:15 pm

Alright STOP...HAMMER-TIME

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Charli » Wed May 19, 2004 1:16 pm

amy the wineaux wrote:Thanks Jake. I can always feel the love. So here is a question for y'all, albeit a tangent from this here thread.

The song, 'I'm not in love' by 10CC, (another AM radio classic) I always thought the song was about someone trying to convince a lover (as well as themselves) that they were not in love, but actually they are. A close friend disagrees and said it is straight forward song about not being love. Any deep down background on this one?

I'm with you on this one. It's someone trying to convince themselves they don't care anymore when truly they do.

Oh and don't feel bad about the am radio stuff, I've been on a huge kick listening to The Drive. Something about those old songs of the 70's. Brings me back.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed May 19, 2004 1:34 pm

amy the wineaux wrote:The song, 'I'm not in love' by 10CC, (another AM radio classic) I always thought the song was about someone trying to convince a lover (as well as themselves) that they were not in love, but actually they are.

Amy, you are totally right.
I keep your picture
Up on the wall
It hides a nasty stain that's lying there
So don't you ask me
To give it back
I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me

See? He doesn't actually want to give her the picture back. He's just making silly excuses to trick her into thinking he's not that into her. It's a classic guy move, and one that I used effectively in the past. (A little too effectively -- just ask Jolie!) Chicks dig it when dudes play hard to get.

Back on topic, "Older" by They Might Be Giants makes very good use of the pause. "You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older [pause] And now you're even older [pause] And now you're even older."

Return to “Rants and Raves”