Got Live (If You Want It)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

You all have already nailed most of the big ones, so here's some personal favs:

The Who "Live At the Isle Of Wight 1970"
The Band "The Last Waltz"
Deep Purple "Made In Japan"
Journey "Captured" (j/k - although.. nevermind)

I also have this WAR live album that I like to put on my turntable at parties. I think it is called "WAR: Live" (duh). Good mingling music.
amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty »

Lep wrote: I remember Live 1969 as being tremendous, but that maybe because it's the record with which I discovered the VU. But as much as I love it, I haven't heard it in years. I refuse to buy it as two CDs.
I really love those discs too, they are worth it for the classic versions of "Sweet Jane" and "Beginning to See The Light" and "What Goes On". The best version of "I'm Waiting For The Man" is on Max's Kansas City. I just went against all my principles and got the new deluxe version which contains a great second disc of the rest of the set. VU fans should definitely pick that up.

In addition, I'm a huge Holly Golightly fan. I recommend her live album "Up The Empire". It kills at poker games.
foxforcefive
GLONO Board Playa

Post by foxforcefive »

My favorite live albums:

Nirvana - Unplugged
Neil Young - Live Rust, Rust Never Sleeps, Road Rock Vol. I
Built to Spill - Live
Jimi Hendrix - Monterey, Winterland, Woodstock
Iron Maiden - Live after Death (just for the title, really)

Most overrated live album: The Band, The Last Waltz
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

foxforcefive wrote: Most overrated live album: The Band, The Last Waltz
I've got to agree with you one this one, F3. I never quite got the praise other than The Band was a critical darling that undoubtedly paid their dues throughout the years and finally threw in the towel. I'm not suggesting that they didn't release some important documents, but "The Last Waltz" to me isn't one of them and merely seems like a "going away party" with the music acting more like a "remember when?" conversation rather than a "you'll never forget us" statement.

Kudos to the Built To Spill pick. I should have remembered that one!

And don't tease with the Maiden...or Eddie will come give you some piece of mind!
jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Forgot to toss in If You Want Blood, You've Got It. Again, there's some studio tinkering, but you just cannot go wrong with Bon Scott-era AC/DC!

I also don't understand the lack of love for The Last Waltz. Great performances of a great catalog with a host of great friends sitting in at a great venue on an emotionally charged night. Me likey. It helps to see the film. Have you haterz seen the film?
L R
GLONO Board Playa

Live recordings

Post by L R »

On some of these CDs that are mentioned above it is an entire live concert, on others they are selected tracks from live shows (ie. Live/Dead, Bear's Choice), sometimes they're even taken from several different dates.

What consitiutes the best "live" recordings?

The best live recordings, to me are the ones where an entire show is recorded and it hasn't been edited. This is true to the art of performance. It also shows you who is good and who sucks. This is why I like bootlegs. It is nice to hear a few live trackes all meshed together, but many times it is missing something.

For example, "Live/Dead" is actually from a bunch of different live shows.

"Dark Star" and "St. Stephen" are from the February 27, 1969 show at the Fillmore West;

"The Eleven" and "Turn On Your Lovelight" are from the January 26, 1969 show at the Avalon;

"Death Don't Have No Mercy", "Feedback", and "We Bid You Goodnight" are from the March 2, 1969 show at the Fillmore West.

A bunch of songs on a CD from various shows put together on one disc doesn't replicate the show it is just a "best of" collection of live performances.

I dont mind if a few bad tracks were taken off a live CD, but I do mind when several live shows were used to make a live CD and they try to make it seems like it was 1 concert performance. Also on some live CDs they've even overdubbed vocals or guitar later in the studio, I think that is pure BS. Give me the music warts and all and I will be the judge.

Regardless, here are some of my fav live officially released albums:

The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970
The Who, Live at Leeds
Johnny Cash, Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison
Derek & the Dominoes - Live (1970)
Neil Young - Live Rust (1979)
Bob Dylan & the Band - Before the Flood (1974)
Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East(1971)
BB King - Live At The Regal
Velvet Underground - 1969: Velvet Underground Live
Ray Charles - At Newport
Rolling Stones - Leeds University REVISITED 3/13/71
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
U2: Under A Blood Red Sky (1983)
amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty »

LR,

I dunno if I'd get sooo worked up over bands cutting together tracks from a few shows, or if they edited out a few of the lesser songs to fit on an album - as long as it's done to make a better record (or to make a show fit on an album at all). Bootlegs are different for that reason, and I'll agree that it would be ideal if shows didn't have to be edited, it would be great if they were perfect right out of the box, but people like to fiddle around. You just gotta hope you don't lose too much in the process.

BTW, the VU 1969 album is edited together froom a bunch of different shows they did in Texas. What's great about the new Max's Kansas City reissue is that the entire set is now reassembled. Only the most diehard fan would take the time, but if you compare the original and the new release you can kinda see why some stuff was cut out... I don't know if I would've listened to the entire show as much as I did the original record.

As far as the Dead go, there are so many bootlegs out there, and so many complete shows available to 'heads, I don't blame them for putting out official albums that try to distill some tours or shows down to the best material, so maybe the uninitiated will have a better chance of appreciating the music.

Love that Johnny Cash album, and I'd throw in that Neil Young Unplugged album as well. A great record for the road.
foxforcefive
GLONO Board Playa

Post by foxforcefive »

[I also don't understand the lack of love for The Last Waltz. Great performances of a great catalog with a host of great friends sitting in at a great venue on an emotionally charged night. Me likey. It helps to see the film. Have you haterz seen the film?]

Seen the film, and to be honest, I think it helped turn me against the music. With some notable exceptions, it's a bunch of stoned artists, many at the nadir of their career, trying to recapture the lost glory of the late sixties/early seventies. And Neil Diamond! And Robbie Robertson's an egotist -- he never did so many background vocals until Uncle Marty starting rolling the film.

Not that it's bad music, far from it; just that it is overrated.
Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep »

But that "Caravan" by Van... ooh, that's tought
Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

When I included The Last Waltz in my list above, I should have stated it with the caveat that it is not b/c of Neil Diamond or Ronnie Hawkins or Neil Young. To me that record sells itself based on 1 thing:

- The Band doing "It Makes No Difference" (I swear it sounds like my boy Danko is about to cry in the middle of that song - its gut-wrenching)

Oh and props to who said "Derek And The Dominos Live" - that record has an amazing version of "Key To The Highway" on it. Legend has it that they didn't know they were being recorded that night. Also props to who suggested The Allman Brothers "At The Fillmore East". Nobody can play slide like Duane did. As uncool as they are in today's music world, that recording of "One Way Out" still gets my bacon cooking wherever I am. As a matter of fact, I am going to put my authentic-scratchy vinyl on now...

(note: One Way Out was not on the original Vinyl, but it appears on "Eat A Peach" as it was recorded from the same show, so it counts...sort of... in a way... shut up)