Got Live (If You Want It)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Calexico "Scraping" is an awesome live album they even sneak a little bit of the Specials "Ghost Town" into one of their songs...

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:11 pm

Had to revisit this thread because I purchased three live albums yesterday. They were:
UFO-"Strangers In The Night"
Rainbow-"On Stage"
Judas Priest-"Unleashed In The East"
I revist this thread because the last purchase defeats the entire statement I made before. "Unleashed In The East" (aka: 'Live In Japan') was referred to as "Unleashed In The Studio" by some individuals because of the number of overdubs performed on it. With that being said, "Unleashed" is spinning at maximum volue right now and I didn't give a rat's ass about overdubs when I was 13.
All of the aforementioned albums rock, but none would make it in the catagory of "best live albums of all time."

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm

i like the cure's live 2 disc cd entitled show. and i'm also found of the manaics show at the greek theatre in 93. good to hear so many clamour for stop making sense, as i've been on a kick on a heads and thought about getting that.

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Post by BandyLou » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:16 pm

James Gang - Live In Concert.
for real, though.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:20 pm

BandyLou wrote:James Gang - Live In Concert.
for real, though.
I believe you. I just listened to "James Gang Rides Again" over the weekend and it's flawless.

Stu Nahan
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Stu Nahan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:33 pm

I remember Live 1969 as being tremendous, but that maybe because it's the record with which I discovered the VU. But as much as I love it, I haven't heard it in years. I refuse to buy it as two CDs.
If you still buy vinyl, Live 1969 and Live At Max's have both been reissued in recent years. I have picked up brand new sealed copies of both within the last 3 years or so. As far as the Max's CD reissue, I bought it and it is pretty good. The only thing that has always bothered me about that record is Mo Tucker not being on drums. Billy Yule's playing is a little busy for my tastes. For fans of VU and Live 1969, the Robert Quine Tapes are worth picking up. The sound quality is not crystal clear on some of the material but there are amazing performances on there.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:55 pm

Stu Nahan wrote: For fans of VU and Live 1969, the Robert Quine Tapes are worth picking up. The sound quality is not crystal clear on some of the material but there are amazing performances on there.
Cool. I always wondered about that Quine Tapes release how it stacks up. Thanks for the recomendation.

dharmabum110
GLONO Board Playa

Post by dharmabum110 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 pm

Yes! I forgot about the Quine tapes. There's a version of "I'm Waiting For My Man" in which Lou whistles a solo. It's a nice and laid back version of the song. I appreciate the different approaches to that song throughout the set.
I also dig the supercharged "Sister Ray" from D.C.
I always cringe though when the Moe Tucker part comes on. It's not because of her singing. She does a great job with a favorite of mine, "After Hours". But during the first verse of "I'm Sticking To You", she sings I'm sticking to you/ I'm made out of glue
You can hear a female patron in the audience say "Oh my gawd!"
As in "that is sooooo lame"

Never the less, the Quine tapes are a great set to pick up.