U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Chris G
Dotman

Re: U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

Post by Chris G » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:43 pm

russ wrote:I bought it on i-tunes today..havent really had the time to play it enough to see if it is any good, but I just HAD to comment on one thing that I applaud U2 for.
When you buy this album on i-tunes, it also downloads an acrobat pdf file of the entire cd cover and booklet art as well! Lyrics ,photos and everything.
I have been waiting for SOMEONE to finally recognize that fans want the liner notes as well when buying music online.
Sure, it would be a hassle to print it all, and cut it out and "make a booklet" at home, but its cool enough to just read it on screen.
I'm just thrilled that they added it to the download.
I hope more artists do the same!!!

Russ
My boss, Mark D., actually did that. He downloaded the U2 title from iTunes, printed all the cover art, burned a disc, and put it in a jewel case. He was listening to it on the CD player in his office yesterday when I had a conversation with him about it.

For what it is worth, I did this almost a year ago for my friend Shawn's band, Limes, when I built them a little web site:

http://www.wearethelimes.com

When you download a ZIP archive of all the tracks as MP3s, it includes the CDs cover art, including the back tray card, as a PDF that can be printed out.

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:56 pm

russ wrote:
Actually the main reason for me starting this topic was to point out that when you download the U2 album on i-tunes, you get the pdf file of the booklet as well, which is VERY COOL and a first for i-tunes as far as I know.
I had no idea my lil' post would spark such a feisty debate.
Like U2 or hate them, (I fall in line with Barbajagal's opinion that they're a great singles band but rarely produce good albums), I think the fact that they produced a visual product to go along with the music is very cool. I'm new to the whole downloading thing--recently got a highspeed connection and, even more recently, an iPod. I still don't know if I could actually purchase a whole album that way, but my main argument for NOT buying albums this way has always been that there are no liner notes. I'm sure more bands will start doing this soon.

And I like the new single, even if Bono does say "cattorce."

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by Alias » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:00 pm

I agree Bono is becoming a capitalist whore, well he is Catholic after all, but U2 will always have a special place in my heart. The first album I bought as a kid was "Achtung Baby", and besides, it's hard to disdain someone who wrote phenomenal emo songs such as "Stay", "All I Want Is You" (my heart literally tingles every time I listen to this), "Love Is Blindness" and "One".

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by trainwreck2 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:25 pm

how about the digital box set theyve got on itunes, I guess its every [email protected] song for 150.00 bucks...

as for the 1,2,3,14 , its definately not a mistake...just cheesy

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:10 pm

the whole pdf/artwork/liner notes/inlay thing really doesn't do anything for beacause it's a cheap imitation of the real thing. the artwork and the cd inlay look better on the released version in stores. while it's cool to be able to download it with the purchase of a cd through i-tunes i don't think it will make me want to buy a cd through i-tunes. it will always have to homemade look to me.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:26 pm

I agree Bono is becoming a capitalist whore, well he is Catholic after all,
not funny. leave your sectarian bullshit at home, please.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:32 pm

I've been listening to U2's new album all day, so I have some thoughts on the boys after reading this thread:

I don't mind that people hate Bono, but I've NEVER heard a good reason for it. I mean, the guy is totally fucking full of himself, so what? He's seems a shitload nicer and smarter and more sincere (and kinder to his wife and kids) than any other rock stars at his level. No, you aruge? Then who? Last time I checked, even the Almighty Bruce didn't spend the past five years fighting AIDS in Africa and debt relief for Third World nations (not the sexiest cause exactly). And, on top of it, he's fucking brilliant and knows more about these issues than most college professors.

I'm beginning to think that people who find to be Bono self-important and pretentious are equally as self-important and pretentious, or they're just repressing it.

I'm not sure what to make of the new album yet. Parts of it sound a bit half-assed, but then again, so does so much of U2's great stuff ("Joshua Tree" definitely included in there).

Bono was Protestant, not Catholic - at least at time U2 became U2 in the mid seventies.

The Edge is an awesome guitar player, even if his name sucks.

Larry Mullen Jr. is an awesome drummer, even if he needs to drop the Jr.

Adam Clayton is...er....

As for "new" U2, all I can say is I still spin "All That You Can't Leave Behind," yet whenever a song from "The Joshua Tree" comes on the radio, I change the station out of boredom.

iTunes commercial? Sell-out, shmell out. U2 were born to sell product. This reminds me of when Green Day "Dookie" came out. Everyone knocked the record. Funny thing was, it didn't sound a whole hell of a lot different from "Kerplunk" (an indie album). Except, of course, that the melodies were stronger, the lyrics weren't as half-assed (it even matters for a punk band - listen to "London Calling") and, cut for cut, it was a better record. I say let rock stars make their money! Somebody has to make money with their art to compensate for people like me who aren't.

With respect,

Booker

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:33 pm

miss carol wrote:
yeah, not funny, leave your naive market views at home too, please...

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Chris G wrote:
miss carol wrote:
Now who's going to step in and defend the whores?

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by terrabull » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:07 pm

Chris G wrote:.

um, it's not naive to assert an ethical value judgement.

this has nothing to do with "the market", and everything to do with legitimacy. what, are we to say that bands never sell out? sure! go ahead and sell everything you can mr. rock star, why not do some ads for some arms manufacturers or pharmaceutical companies while you're at it! just don't ask me to think that your poetry isn't trite, insincere shite when you do!