U2-'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' on i-tunes

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Batchy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Batchy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:34 pm

Thanks Shecky but i think if i ever start wearing golf pants then i'm fairly confident some of my friends will, thankfully, arrange to have me killed.

Check out the two poems by Adrian Mitchell below if you've the patience!

A Puppy Called Puberty:
It was like keeping a puppy in your underpants
A secret puppy you weren't allowed to show to anyone
Not even your best friend or your worst enemy

You wanted to pat him, stroke him, cuddle him
All the time you weren't supposed to touch him.

He only slept for five minutes at a time
Then he'd suddenly perk up his head
In the middle of school medical inspection
And always on bus rides.

So you had to climb down from the upper deck
All bent double to smuggle the puppy off the bus
Without the buxon conductress spotting
Your wicked and ticketless stowaway.

Jumping up, wet-nosed, eagerly wagging-
He only stopped being a nuisance
When you were alone together
Pretending to be doing your homework
But really gazing at each other
Through hot and laxy daydreams.

Of those beautiful schoolgirls on the bus
With kittens bouncing in their sweaters.

A Dog Called Elderly:
And now I have a dog called Elderly,
And all he ever wants to do
Is now and then be let out for a piss
But spend the rest of his lifetime
Sleeping on my lap in front of the fire

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:02 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Kevin Shields: "Still working on it. Yesterday, I put the tent back up in the ol' studio. Still searching for that ever-elusive guitar sound, of crystalline sledgehammers."

Aunt: "Really, that's nice. And the reissues of the Creation My Bloody Valentine albums and EPs?"

KS: "Eh, not as much. Still second-guessing my back catalog of work. The reissues will probably be ready for release in 2010, as long as the oxide doesn't wear off the master tape."

Aunt: "Brilliant, Kevin."
If they ever made a Spinal Tap version of Kevin Shield's career, that conversation would have to be in there. Now that's fucking funny.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Heitzie » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:56 pm

Kevin Sheilds will always be great in my book after "Loveless" no matter what he does with the rest of his life. If you haven't bothered checking them out after 10+ years you've done yourself a disservice, especially since it's one of the most influential albums of the last 25 years. Right behind Joy Division and The Smiths for it's effect on modern rock.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by thousandfold » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:51 pm

To bring this thread back around to the original subject -- I downloaded the new U2 album onto my new U2 iPod... I love this new album. I really do. Edge's guitar is amazing, and the hooks are incredible... My mom calls them "earworms," when parts of songs get stuck in your head. This album is full of earworms (in a good way).

The strange thing is, after all this red state vs. blue state stuff, I've been feeling less religious. A lot less. And this How to Dismantle album is the God-iest Bono has been... well, since October, I think. I still love Bono, but I think I could have done without the "Yaweh" song at the end.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:30 pm

Katy wrote:I still love Bono, but I think I could have done without the "Yaweh" song at the end.
It's funny, I wanted to love this album, and after the first listen, I thought I would. But after repeated listens, the songs simply didn't seem to go anywhere. It's U2 at its most meandering. That being said, I thought "All That You Can't Leave Behind" in some ways represented the band at its peak, and a lot of folk disagree with me. I like the "Stuck in a Moment" and "Walk On" U2 - where the band wrote songs with identifiable verses, choruses and bridges. "Bad" U2 never quite cut it, at least for me.

The only songs on this new album that seem to contain actual movement are "Yahweh" (not your favorite, Katy, but it's slowly becoming mine), "Vertigo" and "Miracle Drug." Sadly, I could scrap the rest.

Still, may Bono's unapologetic confidence continue to annoy self-important, insecure folks everywhere!