Bands you're NOT supposed to dig but cant help getting into

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Yeah...I kind of like the Barenaked Ladies too. Stunt is awesome...and I definitely bought their Greatest Hits album. Mind you, I was a youngun' then (all of 4 years ago). I still listen to them though.

Rush is great, enough said. Geddy Lee was working the rock falsetto way before the fellow from the Darkness was out of training pants. I vote they get moved to the cool table. They can chill with ABBA.

Oh, and is it uncool to like Elton John? Nothing else gets me happy faster, and nothing else makes the soft rock radio at work bearable. Hearing Crocodile Rock after some shit Maroon 5 song totally makes my day. Or redeems my day.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:40 pm

A thought just occurred to me....is Geddy Lee's voice falsetto? Or is it just that high? I've never been quite sure.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:22 pm

- Tori Amos

- Shakira

- “Cry Me a River” - Justin Timberlake

- Linda Ronstadt’s “Greatest Hits”

- Some New Age music

- Jewel’s second album, and fuck everyone for asking why!

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Charli » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Love Journey. So much so that when the husband and I got married we used "any way you want it" as our entrance song into dinner.

REO-rediscovered some of the better songs lately
Dan Fogelberg
Barry Manilow
Hall & Oates
Donna Summer
Billy Joel
Rick Springfield
Sarah McLachlan
Paula Cole (first album)
and umm...oh my.. some of the songs on John Mayer's first album are actually pretty good. The uh..ones..no one really has ever heard.

I'm sure I can come up with more later.

Charli
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Charli » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:55 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:A thought just occurred to me....is Geddy Lee's voice falsetto? Or is it just that high? I've never been quite sure.
All I know is that when No Doubt first came out I ruined a friend's love for them by saying Gwen Stefani sounded like Geddy Lee. I still stand by that.

My friend, he's never forgiven me for it. He looks at her and sees Geddy Lee now. hehe

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:00 pm

beginthebegin wrote:And, while I'm at it, does anyone else think the world's been pretty hard on Hootie?
Frankly, I don't think the world's been near hard enough on them. That goddamn darius rucker couldn't sing for shit; imagine Eddie Vedder with a headcold. Listening to that twat moo his way through a song that had... to... drive... home... a... thousand... times... that he only wanna be with yoo made me wanna clean out my ears with steel wool. What was jaimoe saying about his feet on Morrissey's neck? Double that, and I'll raise you a hang him high from his thumbs and let a thousand cats lick milk off his arms and legs. I died laughing when the Coconuts record store I worked at over-ordered that next album of theirs, and all 80 pieces went back to Atlantic Records. Now that's what I call a very audible thud... dogturds.

Sorry, got a little carried away there... Oh, my guilty pleasures? The usual: Warrant, Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", Boz Scaggs's "Lido Shuffle", Carole King's Tapestry album, Foreigner 4, Yes Fragile, some Kansas, Thomas Dolby, old Madonna, some Elton John (I mean the uncool stuff, too)... I'm having Deja Vu, Jake. Haven't we done guilty pleasuresthreads before? And before that? And even further back? Yep, makes you wanna take a shower to wash off the stink of uncool, don't it?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:13 pm

blackshoestring wrote:I'll see your The Carpenters, Paul Williams and raise you:
Helen Reddy
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Bee Gees
Sonny & Cher
Partridge Family
Osmond Brothers

I would have included ABBA, but they seem to be sitting at the cool table nowadays.
I own some music of all of the above (minus Osmonds) and the 4 cd Burt Baharach Anthology to boot!
Woo Hoo I'm a freeeeak!

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:43 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:A thought just occurred to me....is Geddy Lee's voice falsetto? Or is it just that high? I've never been quite sure.
The lowdown has always been that some mean hosers permanently clamped a pair of vice grips to his balls in 8th grade. The doctor said removing the vice grips would also mean removing the jewels. Looking at Geddy's face his parents felt leaving the vice grips in tact would be the best move. After all, young Geddy was so ugly he would probably have women throwing themselves at him out of curiosity. It would be like having sex with a deformed troll, only one of regular height. The plan backfired when no chicks showed up for Rush shows, only sweaty dudes with mullets. If only young Geddy had gone the route of Leo Sayer, maybe more women would have discovered his vice grips of love.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:49 am

mandy moore's coverage cd
alanis morissette
phish (although i really don't feel guilty. it's more of made to feel guilty)

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:59 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Oh, my guilty pleasures? The usual: Warrant, Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", Boz Scaggs's "Lido Shuffle", Carole King's Tapestry album, Foreigner 4, Yes Fragile, some Kansas, Thomas Dolby, old Madonna, some Elton John (I mean the uncool stuff, too)
Dude, DJ, there's no shame in some of this stuff. "Lido Shuffle" kicks ass. So does Carole King's "Tapestry." And old Madonna. And most Elton.