Get ready for the 90s revival

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Get ready for the 90s revival

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:27 am

Rhino Boxes Up '90s Favorites
Due July 26, "Whatever: The '90s Pop Culture Box" will span seven discs with 130 songs that collectively defined the commercial modern rock scene or hit high points on pop and rap charts.
See the article for complete tracklist. Uggh. Some great songs, but uggh.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:44 am

Awesome inclusions: "Absynthe," Gits; "Freak Me," Silk ("I wanna get FREAKY wit' you!"); "Mockingbirds," Grant Lee Buffalo; "Birthday Cake," Cibo Matto

Fucking crime that it's not on here: "Drinking in LA" by Bran Van 3000. No song defined slackerism/restless youth/apathy better in the canon of 1990s modern rock.

Also: Tripping Daisy's "My Umbrella" should probably be here, especially considering the Polyphonic connection. Where's Forest for the Trees, "Dream", and where's the Butthole Surfers moneygrabber "Pepper"?

And where's Beck? Not even "Loser"? Licensing must be out the roof.
JTL

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:55 am

To me, 90s sez "Jon Spencer Blues Explosion!"

"Come on, fellas, let's get together and write a song."

Seems to be washed up (or is it out?) now...

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:47 pm

and the skip button award goes to...
"I'll Be There for You (Theme From "Friends")," the Rembrandts
i know it would probably be injustice to not include it on a 90s singles mix, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who's induced to dry heaves upon the opening chords when i hear it anymore.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:52 pm

Wow, I wasn't as repulsed by that tracklist as I thought I would. That's something I would actually consider buying, though it might bring back some uncomfortable memories that I'm not in a hurry to relive (mainly involving slap braclets, Reebok pumps, and Orange Levis).

And yeah, how the hell could they have left out "Loser"?

thinsafetypin wrote:and the skip button award goes to...
i know it would probably be injustice to not include it on a 90s singles mix, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who's induced to dry heaves upon the opening chords when i hear it anymore.
No sir, you are certainly not alone!

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:55 pm

The rawk side is pretty comprehensive, since it's got lots of popular stuff and lots of indie faves, but look at the R&B/hip-hop that's on there! The hip-hop is as insulting as if the rock bits were all Candlebox, Sponge, Bush, and Better Than Ezra.

No Snoop, no Dre, no Biggie, no Tupac, no Tribe Called Quest, no Wu-Tang Clan, etc etc. Probably a licensing thing again, but still. They've got Kriss Kross representing 90s hip-hop.

nobodygirl
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by nobodygirl » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:02 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:but still. They've got Kriss Kross representing 90s hip-hop.
And what, precisely, is wrong with that?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:04 pm

dieblucasdie wrote:The rawk side is pretty comprehensive, since it's got lots of popular stuff and lots of indie faves, but look at the R&B/hip-hop that's on there! The hip-hop is as insulting as if the rock bits were all Candlebox, Sponge, Bush, and Better Than Ezra.

No Snoop, no Dre, no Biggie, no Tupac, no Tribe Called Quest, no Wu-Tang Clan, etc etc. Probably a licensing thing again, but still. They've got Kriss Kross representing 90s hip-hop.
Ha! Prepare to feel the pain of 'nostalgia', you Gen-Xer's! As a 'niche' generation, I had live through the 80's nostalgia that was all parachute pants and 'Oh Mickey! You're So Fine!'. No mention ever of the Replacements, Repo Man, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

Watch as your whole generation is reduced to flannel shirts and Kriss Kross!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:17 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:and the skip button award goes to...
...With "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer a close second. Fuck, I'd rather hear Snow's "Informer" than that song.
In all, I'm very surprised at how listenable the set is. Rhino has gotten the box set for music lovers down to an artform.
Where is Nirvana, the band that paved the way for over half of the rock cuts that were included in this set? Oh well...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:30 pm

worpswede wrote:Where is Nirvana, the band that paved the way for over half of the rock cuts that were included in this set? Oh well...
From the article:
Rhino's access to the archives of WEA (Warner, Elektra, Atlantic), gives the label a robust catalog from which to cherry pick hits and defining tracks of the era.

Although the track list is seemingly exhaustive (see below), there are substantial holes. Unrepresented are such iconic artists as Britney Spears, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, the Backstreet Boys, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, No Doubt, Garth Brooks and TLC, who released some of the highest-charting titles of the decade. Others who are seemingly within Rhino's purview, such as Madonna, Hootie & the Blowfish and Alanis Morissette, are also not represented.
No Beastie Boys though? Not even "Sabotage"? Sheesh.