Beggar's Banquet

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Beggar's Banquet

Post by redfieldp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:35 pm

I was listening to Beggar's Banquet this morning, and I really started to notice the production values. Specifically, "Sympathy For the Devil" seems really out of place with the rest of the album. While all the other tracks seem to be laid-back, bluesy affairs with a real "four guys ina room" type feel, Sympathy seems to be much more thought out and planned. Does anyone know about the recording of this album? Was Sympathy from the same sessions? Why is its sound so different from the rest of the record?

~patrick

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:06 pm

As far as I know, the track was recorded at Olympic Studios in the Summer of '68 along with the rest of the album. The album's original release date was delayed due to the "controversial" cover art of a toilet.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 pm

According to this site:
The last track completed for the new album, "Sympathy for the Devil" (originally entitled "The Devil Is My Name") went through a complicated evolution, starting out as a rollicking folk-like number similar to "Jig-Saw Puzzle." According to Bill Wyman in Stone Alone, it didn't work that way, but the group kept at it, altering the tempo and sound until it became a kind of demonic samba in the hands of Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. Nicky Hopkins played a major role in creating the sound of the finished song, his piano emerging as an important part of the reconstituted Stones.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by redfieldp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:17 pm

Jake wrote:According to this site:
The last track completed for the new album, "Sympathy for the Devil" (originally entitled "The Devil Is My Name") went through a complicated evolution, starting out as a rollicking folk-like number similar to "Jig-Saw Puzzle." According to Bill Wyman in Stone Alone, it didn't work that way, but the group kept at it, altering the tempo and sound until it became a kind of demonic samba in the hands of Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. Nicky Hopkins played a major role in creating the sound of the finished song, his piano emerging as an important part of the reconstituted Stones.
Yeah, I saw that too - I guess that could b part of it. Especially the Nicky Hopkins - the piano is a huge part of that song. The more I listen to it, I realize that there's also a Jagger double vocal/reverb thing going on in the right channel that really gives his voice a more roomy/echoey feel.

I also read the allmusic review which sings the praises of the new SACD release. Does anyone here have SACD? Worth it?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:21 pm

By the way, there's an awesome 1966 garage rock song called "Makin' Deals" by a band called The Satans. It's about selling your soul to the devil and contains the phrase, "Can you guess my name!" A lot of 60s punk aficionados theorize that Mick Jagger picked up the single when the Stones were touring the States. It's well known that the Stones were checking out the local bands (many of whom were blatantly ripping off the Stones, ha ha).

I can up an mp3 later if anyone's interested...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:23 pm

redfieldp wrote:I also read the allmusic review which sings the praises of the new SACD release. Does anyone here have SACD? Worth it?
Absolutely worth it. Sounds as good as the vinyl. Probably the best remastering job of any 60s/70s album I've ever heard. This release has finally established that digital can sound as good as analog when it's done properly.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by redfieldp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:29 pm

Jake wrote: Absolutely worth it. Sounds as good as the vinyl. Probably the best remastering job of any 60s/70s album I've ever heard. This release has finally established that digital can sound as good as analog when it's done properly.
Wow. Them's strong words. You gots me lookin at an SACD player now...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:30 pm

redfieldp wrote:Wow. Them's strong words. You gots me lookin at an SACD player now...
Actually, I'm not even talking about the SACD layer. I've only heard the cd layer. And it sounds that good. I can only imagine how great the SACD layer sounds.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by redfieldp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:36 pm

Jake wrote:By the way, there's an awesome 1966 garage rock song called "Makin' Deals" by a band called The Satans. It's about selling your soul to the devil and contains the phrase, "Can you guess my name!" A lot of 60s punk aficionados theorize that Mick Jagger picked up the single when the Stones were touring the States. It's well known that the Stones were checking out the local bands (many of whom were blatantly ripping off the Stones, ha ha).

I can up an mp3 later if anyone's interested...
Interested.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by redfieldp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:37 pm

Jake wrote: Actually, I'm not even talking about the SACD layer. I've only heard the cd layer. And it sounds that good. I can only imagine how great the SACD layer sounds.
Well, considering a basic Sony DVD/SACD player is only 100-120 bucks, I'm seriously considering craigslisting my current DVD player and getting the SACD, plus the new one is progressive scan!