Beggar's Banquet

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:14 pm

redfieldp wrote:Interested.
I posted it to the front page. Even though it's not legally ours to distribute, I can't imagine that the Copyright Police are too interested in it...

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:27 am

The link has an extra "s" on the mp3 folder part....
should be http://www.gloriousnoise.com/mp3/Satans-Makin-Deals.mp3
Thanks for mp3!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:24 am

Thanks, Lep! Fixed.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:15 am

Re: the Stones on SACD, on one of the other forums I post to, I heard a rumor that the SACDs are going out of print; get 'em while you can. The reissues are reverting to a regular old CD-only format for the next pressings.

If the DVD/SACD you're looking at is the Samsung HD-841, please be aware that it "stutters" on DTS playback. It'll randomly drop out in weird, sometimes inopportune places.

Finally, CD sound vs. SACD/DVD-Audio, frankly, I have heard all 3 formats and on my (mediumly priced) home theater setup, I can't tell a significant sonic difference between the standard CD and SACD layers when you're dealing with the stereo playback. This could be a product of the releases I've chosen to make my comparison (Big Star's and Mission of Burma's SACDs), but unless a higher performance audio system could convince me otherwise, we're not talking a light-year's difference. Standard CD mastering has come a long way to sounding closer to analog. The hi-res formats have been cool for the 5.1 remixes of the albums, though...

Just my 2 cents, of course.

[/shameless geek talk]

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Post by BandyLou » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:15 pm

hi

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpBanquet.html

just read it. and read and read and read it. so much cool info here.
for example:

Street Fighting Man was all acoustics. There's no electric guitar parts in it. (Even the high-end lead part was through) a cassette player with no limiter. Just distortion. Just two acoustics, played right into the mike, and hit very hard. There's a sitar in the back, too. That would give the effect of the high notes on the guitar. And Charlie was playing his little 1930s drummer's practice kit. It was all sort of built into a little attaché case, so some drummer who was going to his gig on the train could open it up - with two little things about the size of small tambourines without the bells on them, and the skin was stretched over that. And he set up this little cymbal, and this little hi-hat would unfold. Charlie sat right in front of the microphone with it. I mean, this drum sound is massive. When you're recording, the size of things has got nothing to do with it. It's how you record them. Everything there was totally acoustic. The only electric instrument on there is the bass guitar, which I overdubbed afterwards.
- Keith Richards, 1977

bye.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:30 pm

BandyLou wrote:Charlie was playing his little 1930s drummer's practice kit. It was all sort of built into a little attaché case, so some drummer who was going to his gig on the train could open it up - with two little things about the size of small tambourines without the bells on them, and the skin was stretched over that. And he set up this little cymbal, and this little hi-hat would unfold.
First of all I want to see one of these. Then I want to buy one for a friend of mine so I can make him do small bar gigs with a reduced kit.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by Jiggle Billy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:28 pm

Anyone ever heard the Beggar's Banquet outtakes? They're pretty cool.

eriknorm
GLONO Board Playa

Post by eriknorm » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:36 pm

The excerpt from Keef on how they arranged "Sympathy..." reminds me of the thread a few weeks ago about whether the new Stones record will be any good. I know this is the triumph of hope over experience, but with Keith in the studio, there's always gonna be a chance that it'll be good. 'cos Keith's solo albums were pretty damn great....

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by redfieldp » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:48 pm

Jiggle Billy wrote:Anyone ever heard the Beggar's Banquet outtakes? They're pretty cool.
No - where can you get them?