Underrated bands

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

juliana hatfield is cool. i really love her new cd.

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Man, the god-damned Flamin Groovies are where it's at. That's no secret though, is it? If it is, scream it to the masses. How can you not sing along to "Shake Some Action"?

Other bands:

Primal Scream
the Bar Kays
Swearing At Motorists
Wanda Jackson
Etta James
the Pretty Things

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ »

jaimoe0 wrote:I'm gonna say Harry Nilsson.
I agree!!!!
"The Puppy Song" is one of my favorite Nilsson songs."Mr. Richland's Favorite Song" was a favorite of John Lennon. When the Beatles were interviewed when they first came to America they used to say Nilsoon was one of their favorite artists...
Also at the beginning of the movie Magnolia where thet show the sky and the weather forecast is on screen, they play a instrumental snippet from Nilsson's "1941"

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

Skinny Puppy!

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sugarcubes Forever »

Shit, I almost forgot.......The Sugarcubes!

hausofjl
GLONO Board Playa

re

Post by hausofjl »

there is this local band from close to me and they are criminally underrated, i caught their show the other night and there was only a half full bar. there name is miles of wire and they're from st louis. [url]http://www.milesofwire.com . theyre rad dudes too.

tom, i think we said underrated, not overrated. pp is one of the most overrated new bands.[/url]

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

VELVETS

Post by russ »

The Velvet Underground.
They aren't underrated, but they are undersold. Even though they practically invented "alternative" music in the late 60's, they still dont get airplay on classic rock stations, and havent sold that many albums. They really derserve alot more credit than they receive.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

yeah the sugarcubes are great. also rufus wainwright has been compared to nilsson. quite interesting. yeah i do think that the sugarcubes are better in ways than bjork as a solo artist.

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring »

Flaming Groovies indeed, and I love Nilsson's "The Point."

I'm going to add the Raspberries, Squeeze, the Psychedelic Furs, and Low.
They deserve more laurels.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

I think I suggested these in the last "Underrated Artists" thread, but Daniel Lanois is a damn fine musician/ producer/ music guru. I know its out of print, but if you can find a copy of Acadie, do yourself a favor and buy it. And Mark Kozelek deserves a mention as well.

And a big second to Saint Etienne, Skinny Puppy (though they're not exactly underrated depending on the music circle), and the Furs.