Since there's more to life than just music...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Since there's more to life than just music...

Post by steve-o » Tue May 23, 2006 8:44 pm

I know this is slightly OT, but we've done book threads before.

I was just given a Barnes and Noble gift card, and just in time for The Nation's Spring Book review issue no less. However, since I know many of you are bookworms as well as music snobs, I figured I would check here for recommendations as well (Miss Carol, I'm looking at you.) What's been good lately? I've had my eye on Phillip Roth's Everyman or The Plot Against America, Pierre Merot's Mammals, Irene Nemirovsky's Suite Francaise, and Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons. For those in the know, are any of those worth my time and money? Anything else I'm forgetting?

And just so this thread doesn't get deleted for not being music-related, um...the new Calexico album is really, really good.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Tue May 23, 2006 9:31 pm

i've really been digging stephen king's cell. and anything by terry pratchet should be a must on anyone's to read list.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Christopher Moore's "Dirty Job" recently came out. He silly.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Tue May 23, 2006 11:17 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:Christopher Moore's "Dirty Job" recently came out. He silly.
Yep. Made me laugh, made me cry.

BUT David Mitchell is fucking GENIUS. Pick up his latest Black Swan Green. I'm almost done, but I was in love after a mere twenty-five pages. So good...

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Post by Dreamin » Tue May 23, 2006 11:35 pm

I know Douglas Coupland is kind of a love him or hate him kind of author, but jPod is really (darkly) funny.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Since there's more to life than just music...

Post by Lep » Wed May 24, 2006 4:55 am

steve-o wrote:Phillip Roth's ... The Plot Against America,
Short take: Worth the time spent, but not essential.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Wed May 24, 2006 10:46 am

Maybe one of the 9 books that Puritans are trying to ban from the second-largest high school district in Illinois:
"Beloved" by Toni Morrison, "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin, "Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, "The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World" by Michael Pollan, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers and "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" by Julia Alvarez.
I haven't read most of those but Slaughterhouse 5 and Beloved are great.

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more..."

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Wed May 24, 2006 11:06 am

Jake wrote:Maybe one of the 9 books that Puritans are trying to ban from the second-largest high school district in Illinois:
Those crazy book banning fundies always crack me up. Next thing you know, they'll start going after Everybody Poops.

And Douglas Coupland sounds familiar. Didn't he write Generation X? I remember that being a pretty good read. And thanks for all the other suggestions. Black Swan Green sounds like it's worth a second look.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Wed May 24, 2006 11:51 am

Jake wrote:Maybe one of the 9 books that Puritans are trying to ban from the second-largest high school district in Illinois:
"Beloved" by Toni Morrison, "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin, "Freakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner, "The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World" by Michael Pollan, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers and "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" by Julia Alvarez.
I haven't read most of those but Slaughterhouse 5 and Beloved are great.

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more..."
The Things they Carrried is a really good book on the Viet Nam war.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 am

D. Phillips wrote:
The Things they Carrried is a really good book on the Viet Nam war.
yeah, great book, and i was trying to think - what is it about this book that would make them want to ban it? i recall it being a powerful and well-written, but still relatively bening book, at least on hot-button issues. or maybe I missed something?