He's Doing It Again Folks.....

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

He's Doing It Again Folks.....

Post by russ » Tue May 30, 2006 8:24 pm

Am I buggin' you?
Sorry, don't mean to BUG ya....

But I posted a new song in the "Listen To The Band" section, and gosh darn it, I want ya'll to hear it....

Besides...its a pwetty ballad.

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4529

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by Alias » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:07 am

Russ, that was just plain awful, your other one was a thousand times better.

did you really actually listen to your own song?

next time, please do so, before unleashing such a monstrosity on unsuspecting victims.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:23 pm

Alias wrote:Russ, that was just plain awful, your other one was a thousand times better.

did you really actually listen to your own song?

next time, please do so, before unleashing such a monstrosity on unsuspecting victims.

Thank you for your extremely diplomatic reply.

I was thinking up the old adage of " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" but I chose to post my song on this website, so I open myself up to criticism.
I can deal with that.

But your reply isn't a criticism.

Its a mean-spirited bitchslap, and insulting.
I've seen some negative stuff on GloNo, but this takes the cake.

Maybe you think you're being funny, but it doesn't read that way to me.

I don't know anything about you, but for you to actually say
"did you really actually listen to your own song?"
is just such a fucking shitty thing to say to someone... EVEN to an amatuer like me, who works hard to write and record an original song.

I don't know if YOU also write and record music, but if you do, you know how time consuming it is, and how much passion goes into it.

You sometimes record something you're proud of, and you let people hear it and sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't.
Thats the name of the game.

But because of the internet, people like YOU can sit comfortably in front of a computer screen and be venemous with a simple click of a mouse.

If you hate my song so much, fine.
But do you have to verbally shit all over me to let me know of your distaste for it?

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by n8 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:11 pm

I agree, that's a pretty fucked up (and completely non-constructive) thing to say.

My guess is it points more to your own anxieties than to Russ' alleged shortcomings as a songwriter.

It takes balls to take something personal you've created and post it for all to hear and judge. If you want to reply with a legitimate criticism, that's fine. Or, if someday Russ becomes a famous songwriter, then feel free to knock him like that; he won't care what you think anyway.

But in this context, expecially since it's something of an online community, that's plain inappopriate.

Be cool.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:30 pm

Russ, baby, you know we all love you. But dude, you know you're opening yourself up for this kind of feedback when you post your stuff online. You're looking for a response and you got one. Not the one you wanted to hear, of course, but that's the nature of the internet.

Alias was harsh, but that's her whole persona. She's like Simon Cowell, dawg. Hey, at least she said liked your previous song.

Don't let the haters get you down!

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:39 pm

Jake wrote:Russ, baby, you know we all love you. But dude, you know you're opening yourself up for this kind of feedback when you post your stuff online. You're looking for a response and you got one. Not the one you wanted to hear, of course, but that's the nature of the internet.

Alias was harsh, but that's her whole persona. She's like Simon Cowell, dawg. Hey, at least she said liked your previous song.

Don't let the haters get you down!
Jake,
Thanks for the LUV.....I totally KNOW I'm opening myself up for criticism, and I can deal with that....but that first reply was not a criticism of the song, as much as it was a criticism of ME.
If someone was to post saying that they hated the song because of:
the lyrics, my singing, the melody, the hiss in the background, whatever, that would be fine.....but a pissy slam against me prsonally just because you don't like my song?
It's a tad over the line in my opinion.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Welcome to my world, dog.

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:12 pm

Gotta throw in here, too. No, Alias didn't attack you. Nowhere do I read "Russ sucks." Nope, it was Russ's song sucks, with, as was pointed out, a reference to a better one. Granted, there was no constructive criticism - except maybe the not-very-articulate admonition for more self-awareness, the "did you listen" question.

Russ, maybe nobody responded to your first posting of it for the very reason of "if you can't say anything nice." (I don't know, I haven't listened to this one. The one I remember particularly appreciating, I did comment on.)

Asking a second time for a response is just asking for it. And if you wanted opinions, "that was just plain awful" certainly is one.

Peace, and keep on doing your thing baby.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by russ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Lep wrote:Gotta throw in here, too. No, Alias didn't attack you. Nowhere do I read "Russ sucks."
First of all, I NEVER said Alias "attacked" me.

Anytime someone says "did you really actually listen to your own song?" thats close enough to a personal insult, and its crossing the line.
Like I don't have the sense to hear if something sounds bad with my own 2 ears.
Would you walk up to a painter and ask him "Do you actually look at your own paintings before you hang them up?"

Its bitchiness, plain and simple.
If you want to bitch about Britney Spears, or some rock star, go for it.

But I'm just a guy, who likes to write songs, and I record them in my kitchen table on an outdated analog 4 track recorder, very low-fi.

I originally posted the song in the 'listen to the band forum', but then I added it to the main forum with a link to the main post, since I probably gets more traffic.
So, YES, I wanted people to hear it.
Obviously many didn't care for it.
Thats fine.
Perhaps ballads are not the kind of songs to put on GloNo.

My point is, if you don't like something, fine.
Don't like it.
HATE it if you want to.
Write ten posts on whats wrong with the song, and how much you hate it.

But is there really a need to insult the person themselves?
What does it get you? Do you feel better about yourself by putting others down?

Oh and I'll leave with this. An email I got from someone who heard the very same demo on my Livejournal.

-I've always hated it when someone would say to me that one of my songs "sounds exactly like ..." BUT I've come to appreciate that one can't really listen to music without being influenced. That being said ... to my ear the melody and changes are quite Bowie inspired. I think had you played it on an upright, it would have been very "Hunky Dory". Not that it was what you were going for ... I think it just kind of happened. A very nice effort, too.-
Last edited by russ on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:56 pm

One thing for sure Russ--your voice and singing style grabs hold of people by the stugots and twists! Which is more than you can say for 80 percent of the music on the radio in the past 30 years. I know you're in it for the love of writing and performing music but have you considered going with weirder subject matter lyrically? It might really garner some attention from the underground if your lyrics were more Wesley Willis and less McCartney.