Wolf Parade - Why The Hype?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Wolf Parade?

Love Em
60%
Don't Get It
40%

Total votes: 10

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by cat153 »

i'll say this also about Arcade Fire...the disc/album doesn't do the band justice when seeing them live. Live, in a club (which is where i saw them in Dallas and Austin) their sound is big, varied and inventive. I don't think the actual album captures the richness of sound very well. I say that as one who likes the disc quite a bit. I think it's good indie rock...inventive, urgent, moody, and varied. In fact, I would say Funeral is the best of the three debuts.
worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede »

miss carol wrote:I walked out of the store with The Normal Years (not sounding like MM) and am pretty happy with it.
That is a dandy. Next to "Live," it's my favorite.
"Someone I can talk to
Someone I don't have to talk to"
Love that one and the tune "Car."
Tom4 wrote:I'm a Wolf Parade fan, as I am with Clap Your Hands and Arcade Fire, and Modest Mouse. So there, bitches.
I got your back, brother.
creepy wrote:i like wolfmother...
They rule.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

cat153 wrote:i'll say this also about Arcade Fire...the disc/album doesn't do the band justice when seeing them live.
I agree with that. I saw them at last year's Lollapalooza and they blew me away. Enough to give the album another shot. And it's okay. But not awesome.
hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer »

OK, I think Wolf Parade are the shit. I bought Sunset Rubdown's CD just because they guy from Wolf Parade is in the band, and I will buy Swan Lake's CD when that is released for the same reason. I think "I'll Believe in Anything" is one of the best songs to come out since the turn of the century (Only 5 1/2 years, I know, but impressive nonetheless.) I enjoy the Modest Mouse derivation. They sound like a Lonesome Crowded West-era Modest Mouse, and there is no problem with that.

I like all those aforementioned bands, and it's almost certainly because Talking Heads are one of my top 5, which is arbitrary and meaningless, but I listen to these bands, and I don't look at it as a rip-off, as much as it is an homage. They take that same very general style of Byrne and make it their own.

And Wolfmother is some great cock rock.
terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by terrabull »

Jake wrote:You know why there are so many bands trying to sound like Modest Mouse? Because Good News for People Who Love Bad News has sold 1.5 million copies.
I'm surprised Jake - that's one of the most cynical things i've ever heard you write about a band. perhaps they took a few musical cues from MM, but to "try and sound like" them just to sell albums?

This album has been my rock since the second it was released. never fails me. of course, i loved it the second i heard it.
in terms of the other bands referenced in this thread:
Talking Heads - love 'em, who doesn't? whoevever they are, don't wanna know 'em
Arcade Fire - loved 'em live, would go again is a second, but never ever listen to the album, it feels flat
CYHSY - could be seduced eventally, haven't yet
Modest Mouse - actually DON'T like them, so find the comparison odd, though i can appreciate some of the stylistic similarities, i find The Queen Mary faster, heavier, tighter, with better vocals and vastly more interesting instrumentation
Finally,
Wolf Parade = good band name, Wolfmother = awful band name. i haven't actually heard this band, but cock-rock generally sucks.
Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

terrabull wrote:I'm surprised Jake - that's one of the most cynical things i've ever heard you write about a band. perhaps they took a few musical cues from MM, but to "try and sound like" them just to sell albums?
I'll admit to being cynical about all those bands, mainly because I don't really like their music. To me, it sounds contrived. If I liked the music, I wouldn't be as dismissive. For example, I give the Libertines a lot of slack even though they admit to being created to cash in on the Strokes. But I like that first Strokes album, and I love the Libertines, and I just like that style of music in general, so I don't care.

And I'm not necessarily blaming the bands. I'm more blaming the hype machine that's constantly on the lookout for the Next Big Thing.
explosionsinthesky
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by explosionsinthesky »

I think that Wolf Parade sounding a lot like Modest Mouse would have less to do with how many records MM has sold, and more to do with the fact that Isaac Brock produced their album.
corky

Post by corky »

Issac Brock was a bad producer for their album. There are 4 songs redone from their second ep. the old ep versions sound alot better.
DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

Hype?

Post by DavidMac »

Wolf Parade received good reviews but I dont recall a lot of hype around this band. When compared to Artic Monkeys and Strokes which hit a 10 on the hype meter I would say the Wolfers were a tepid 4.
The album itself is really solid with 3-4 great songs I do get a little Wolf Parade fatigue listening to the album start to finish and the slower tempo songs are a little too thick for me.
Arcade Fire have their really bad moments where the lyrical content is so overwrought I an envision a sweating, hankerchief wielding Meatloaf singing but they also have undeniable talent- some really great moments and I am very interested in their second work which is high praise for a debut work of some pretty young kids.
Clap Your Hands I boycotted because of the name and the idiotic US fans whom skipped out on a great group the National during their tour. I will catch them next time around.
All these groups are infinitely better than the Strokes whom delivered one of the worse pieces of dredge-like ill-name albums in the short history of rock music. God I would like to strangle the moron whom actually listened to more than 1 minute of Last Night and legitimately thought of Television. What a crazy world- but Wolf Parade, Arcade Fire and especially Modest Mouse(I have to love Brock whom is universally hated by almost every subsegment of the Indie World) you are all all-right with me.
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

I'm right with Der Glonofuhrer on all of these bands. Yelpy, agitated nerds don't do it for me, especially when they wanna get semi-"funky."

I do like some stuff from Talking Heads and MM. Wolf Parade seems OK, hasn't clicked with me. But definitely seeing the passion of Arcade Fire live made me realize how brilliant that record is. I still reach a saturation point where I can't ingest the whole thing at once but it is a work of art.

DavidMac--glad there's others who boycott bands because of their names. I was that way with Death Cab for Cutie. I even felt guilty about it--until I eventually heard their music.