Pitchfork Interview with Cat Power

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Pitchfork Interview with Cat Power

Post by ryanking » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:18 pm

I have never seen a so-called musician milk more publicity out of being 'crazy' than Chan Marshall. And I have never seen indie music press more desperate for a "character" to help them get a few website hits. She's the new PJ Harvey, the spooky troubled girl of indie rock. Throw out the 'crazy' act, and there is nothing particularly interesting about her or her music.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:21 pm

I like the new album, but it's nothing genius. As for her interview, she came off as immature and spoiled. Kinda bummed out the music for me now--which, as she said in the interview with Pitchfork, should really be the focus.

Maybe if she grew up people would focus on the music instead of her after all.

Funkman

Post by Funkman » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:01 pm

I kind of enjoyed the interview, and I own the new CD. First of all the CD is great. It's not perfect or "genius", but it is some good music. Second of all, her great personality and nice soul shone through in this interview as it does in her music. She doesn't seem crazy to me, maybe a little different though.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:13 am

It's weird to hear Chan Marshall talking about driving a car, or mentioning Britney and Christina. I know it's irrational, but I tend to imagine musicians like Cat Power existing in some kind of urban fantasy world where all they speak backwards to all of their friends and eat exotic sushi at restaurants that never open.

I imagine the same thing about musicians like Smog, Thom Yorke, and Sigur Ros. Of course I'm a jackass, but whenever this notion of mine is revealed as the bullshit that it is (like Cat Power does in this article), I think it's worth noting.

JTL

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Yuck yuck yuck

Post by Barabajagal » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:28 pm

I am going to try and not let that heinous interview spoil her music for me.

What a hate-able person, so unbelievably spoiled and whiny, wanting so hard to pretend to be "put-upon," waaayyyy inappropriate for someone her age who should know better. No wonder she doesn't like interviews.

Going back to my "guest appearances" thread, if you don't want people to ask about fellow celebrity guest appearances, don't put them on your freakin' record, you whiny crabcakes! "They're just people to me." They're also big rock stars, you dope! They call attention to themselves! Duh-hoy!

Kristy who didn't log-in

Post by Kristy who didn't log-in » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:39 pm

I know what you mean, Johnny -- I feel that way when she talks about roommates. 'You mean she has roommates?' It seems so regular, so ordinary.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by ryanking » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:05 am

For a lot of artists- Neil Young, to name an example, I often wonder what it is like to be their wife- to be loving and supporting your husband, tolerating his late nights, his exhausting experimentation, and his male chatter with Crazy Horse, trusting his resolve to fend off all the groupies, watching him grow, boosting his confidence when his work isn't getting defended...

I like to imagine that every artist has a supportive circle of friends and loved ones around them. To me, rather than a release coming from the one artist, it's really coming from their "camp". It's always a group project.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:59 am

It is strange to think of Marshall as a roommate, just as it is for her to have a circle of friends like the group Ryan talks about. I don't mean that in a callous sense. It's just that her identity as a performer is as one person with a guitar, always alone. That, compounded by her infamous stage fright/agorophobia/selfishness/whatever you want to call it, makes it strange to think of anyone besides Marshall existing inside her insular world.

Which is why another part of that interview is so funny: her publicists were there. The interview begins with the feeling that it's only she and the interviewer in a tiny diner somewhere on the upper west side. It's probably raining outside. And then all of a sudden you find out that there's MORE THAN ONE publicist sitting at another table, AND there are flashbulbs going off as they speak.

My notions of Marshall as a rock and an island were naive to begin with. But it's still interesting when an article like this illustrates how different an artist like her really is, behind our conceived notions.

JTL

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:12 am

I don't know; I will be the first to admit that I haven't heard her songs yet, but after reading that interview, I'm hoping that I'm not prejudiced when I do finally hear her music for the first time. She doesn't come off as a nice person in the interview; she comes off as a tempestuous and restless person trying to make a different reality out of the one she's been given. She doesn't seem grateful that her talents have taken her to the level of recognition that she has; making music seems to be a royal pain in her ass. She certainly seems oblivious to the fact that her collaborators might add to the mix. Adam Kasper is just some engineer; Eddie Vedder and Dave Grohl are just some guys in the mix. And while undoubtedly she's definitely right at some level, at another level those three "guys" have their own style which might have seriously added on a collaborative level, of which I think she doesn't express an awareness in the interview.

But ultimately, this just might be another case that you "can't get the sound from a story in a magazine, aimed at your average teen". I promise to give the actual tuneage a chance before passing final judgment.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Post by Johnny Loftus » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:25 pm

You can watch the video for Cat Power's "He War" at the Matador Records site:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/music/

It's a nice-looking video, but she's a bad actress. "Hey Hey HEYYYYY!"

JTL