New Black Sheep

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

New Black Sheep

Post by Jake » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:09 pm

Idolator is discussing Black Sheep's new single, "Whodat?"

BandyLou
GLONO Board Playa

Post by BandyLou » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:27 pm

zero replies.

That kinda says it for me... I was one of those suburban white college kids who got into hip hop in the early nineties - from 3 ft. High & Rising thru Native Tongues and Hieroglyphics.

But even a reunion of Digable Planets didn't get me that excited, and 'Blowout Comb' is one of my favorite albums ever, any genre. I liked Black Sheep, I even got the second album (!) and the CD single that preceded it (!!).

Something about Hip Hop... have I grown out of it? is it just not relevant to me anymore? I know that after getting mugged in LA, with a pistol held to the back of my head by some bald-head, baggy pants latino kid, I couldn't listen to Cypress Hill too much anymore.

I don't think of it as just a passing phase. I wasn't a "whigger" by any stretch, I just liked the music, and a lot of people around me did, too. Where are they now? Does anyone care? I know I don't that much anymore, and I just don't know why...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:35 pm

I hear ya, BandyLou. Those who know me (or have read this site comprehensively) are aware of my undying love of Talib Kweli, but most specifically the Mos Def and Talib Kweli are....Black Star album. Beyond that, there are few hip hop artists I still get down with.

I think the problem is that the genre has built such limitations around itself that there's a finite amount of what can be done. Any genre-benders are extricated from the hip hop fraternity.

For me specifically, I was never one to be into the party or hard, violent tracks. I like to hear emcees ruminate, and there doesn't seem to be much of that coming out lately. It's telling that the newest "smart" wonderboy, Lupe Fiasco, wouldn't have been talented enough to be a waterboy in the Rawkus crew.

And that's the other thing -- my initiation into hip hop came through the Rawkus era, and that late-90s golden age thinking-man's hip hop is what I'm drawn to. But even the principles involved in that project are onto other projects or have changed styles and no one is picking up the slack. Of course you have MF Doom, Ghostface, CYNE -- all wonderful artists, but they belong to a second-tier in my mind. It's cyclical, I suppose, and maybe there will eventually be someone who catches my fancy again. In the meantime, I'll just play "Respiration" on repeat.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:38 pm

Y'all don't like Sole or Blackalicious? I think there's still some creativity out in the genre.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Point me to something that doesn't involve "hos," or "bitches," or "pimp," bullshit, and I'll listen. I'm not into hate. That goes for metal too, btw (including Iron Maiden's "22 Acacia Avenue"). Hip hop, rap, whateverthefuck seems rife with misogyny, and it bugs the living crap outta me that women/girls buy into it. What a waste of potential.

I'll stop now. I feel a rant coming on.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:23 pm

I love violence and misogyny in music. From "Delia's Gone" to "Under My Thumb" through to "A Bitch Iz a Bitch" and "Deep Cover." What I'm not that interested in, lyrically, are songs about how rich somebody is. That, to me, is total Yawnsville.

It's funny to hear Tom talk about his "golden age" of hip hop as being the late-90s. In my opinion, the golden age of hip hop was around 88-92. I'm guessing we're both suffering from more than a dash of Fogeyism.

95% of mainstream hip hop might be crap. But remember Sturgeon: 95% of everything is crap.

People like us should know by now that you usually have to dig a little deeper for the good stuff. It's still out there. You just gotta find it.

The real quesion (and I think this is what BandyLou was getting at) is: Why don't we care enough to track down the good stuff when it comes to hip hop? I'm not sure why. But I know I can't stop listening to this ridiculous Serengeti song: Dennehy.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:51 pm

miss carol wrote:Point me to something that doesn't involve "hos," or "bitches," or "pimp," bullshit, and I'll listen. I'm not into hate. That goes for metal too, btw (including Iron Maiden's "22 Acacia Avenue"). Hip hop, rap, whateverthefuck seems rife with misogyny, and it bugs the living crap outta me that women/girls buy into it. What a waste of potential.

I'll stop now. I feel a rant coming on.
Se post above for two groups who do not trade in that kind of subject matter.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Tom4 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:55 pm

I do enjoy Blackalicious, D. Forgot about them.

And this only goes so far as to discuss vocal hip hop groups. There are a hell of a lot of producers, beat-makers, and turntablists putting out lively music without any lyrics.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:55 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Se post above for two groups who do not trade in that kind of subject matter.
Above my last post? I'll dig.