How do you listen to music?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

How do you listen to music?

Post by n8 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:28 pm

Thought I'd institute a little poll among the enlightened (that's us) to see how we listen to our music these days. With all this talk about the death of CDs and terrestrial radio, the life of vinyl, and the questionable future of HD and satellite radio, it'll be interesting to see what we're all doing. Name the medium and give an approximate estimate of the percentage of your total listening.

CDs (including work, home stereo, and car) = 80%
MP3 (portable player) = 5%
MP3 (computer) = 10%
Internet radio = 2.5%
Vinyl = 2.5%

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by Ad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:42 pm

CDs: 5%
MP3s (portable): 30%
MP3s (computer): 35%%
Internet Radio: 0%
Vinyl: 30%

The only reason my CD percentage is so low is that, as soon as I buy CDs, I convert them to MP3s and really don't use them unless I drive (which isn't very often). I do buy quite a few CDs though. In terms of what I buy, the percentage would be something like this:

CDs: 30%
Vinyl 60%
MP3s:10%

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by worpswede » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:46 pm

Interesting topic. I'm curious to see the results that fellow GloNo'ers post.
The Worpswede house:
CD-80%
MP3 (computer)-19%
VINYL-1%
So in other words: when cds bite the dust, I'm fucked.
And judging by the totals above, I either need to make more of an effort to play my vinyl titles or take the Jake approach and purge them entirely. In the past few months, I've probably spent more time pulling out my vinyl albums and looked at them instead of actually playing them. That's sad.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by LionIndex » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 pm

It varies, but generally:

CD: 85%
Internet radio: 15%

I have wee tiny smidge of vinyl, but I have to go to my parent's house to listen to it.

Craigthestroke
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Craigthestroke » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:06 pm

I'd say

CD's - 20%
Mp3 player - 40%
Mp3 PC - 30%
Vinyl - 0%
Digital Radio - 10%

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:09 pm

Mp3 (portable): 80%
Vinyl: 20%

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:11 pm

My completely unscientific approximate response:

CDs (at home)= 70%
MP3/iPod (commute)= 20%
Streamed Radio (music & spoken work; home and work)= 10%

VERY rough guess, though. I'm more likely to listen to a CD from beginning to end repeatedly on my stereo than on my iPod, which I use the shuffle feature.
My turntable is broken and I cannot afford to fix it nor do I have the space to use it realistically.

Also, I don't buy or download music files. I purchase CDs from a brick and mortar store.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:13 pm

mp3 (computer): 65%
mp3 (portable): 25%
vinyl: 9%
cd: 1% (usually to determine whether or not i want to rip an old purchase. the first thing i do with new purchases these days is rip them and stick them on the shelf)

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:16 pm

cd: 60%
zune/mp3:40%

i put down the zune because most of my music listening is done on a portable device so i figured i should specify about the actual device. i use my cd's most of the time though.even at home. i don't know that i could ever see myself not listening to cd's. i love them too much.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 pm

CD's- 50%
mp3's (Computer)- 40%
Vinyl- 10%

I know it's supposed to be totally anethema to being a music geek, but I think I'm with some of the others here when I say that I have started to give up my love affair with vinyl. I've definitely collected some cool stuff, and there are still some albums that sound superior, but those friggin' things are completely impractical. They're not portable, I obviously can't listen in the car or at work, they're heavy to move, and they take up a shit-ton of space. I guess it also has to do with the fact that my record player is about the kick the bucket, so even the most high quality vinyl doesn't really do me any good in terms of sound quality. Either way, I think I'm pretty much done buying vinyl, at least for a while. It's all CD's and itunes from here on out.