Putting your money (i.e., time) where your mouth is...

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Putting your money (i.e., time) where your mouth is...

Postby Jake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:32 am

Any of you guys done any of this "get out the vote" calling?

http://ofa.bo/DCktjz

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am

In years past I've done my share of get out the vote phone bank work. Both for the Democratic party and also for several interest groups.

I've always found it tedious and frustrating. Most of the time people dont' seem to want to be bothered by the phone call. And I wonder if it's even effective for people under the age of 50. (I don't even have a home phone.) I don't answer my cell if I don't recognize the number. I know several people who screen their home phone with caller ID and do the same.

I got more than half a dozen get out the vote texts yesterday and several each day for the week leading up to Nov 2.

I appreciate the texts a lot more than the phone calls. But you don't need a phone bank to do that. One dude in India can just push the 'enter' key on his PC and it's a done deal.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

I'm so cynical right now... I used to be a "get out the vote" kind of guy until yesterday; now I have a new motto: STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDN'T VOTE!! If the ones who previously didn't vote are the same fucktards who elected the Tea Party knuckleheads, I really wish they had stayed home.

And no, the Democrats are very guilty for this shift of power, too. Sheesh. There goes the neighborhood...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 am

I don't feel as bad as I did , ha ha.

DP said it best in a a couple weeks ago: "Independent" voters appear to be wishy-washy dopes who are easily influenced by consistent (if untrue) messaging.

I'm just very, very thankful for for preparing for this outcome months in advance. He gets my vote for Uprightstanding Citizen of 2010.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:50 pm

There really aren't any "independent" voters. Typically they tend to favor one party or another whether they acknowledge it or not.

IMO, people who claim to be independents are the least informed voters. And they tend to be too heavily influenced by propaganda (campaign advertising).

Despite the never ending media narrative that Independents swing elections, it's really not true. The party bases decide elections. Yesterday the Democratic base didn't show in the numbers they needed to hold the House.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Jake, your guy Nate Silver is on Olberman tonight.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 am

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 am

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 am

Last edited by Sugarcubes Forever on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Return to “Rants and Raves”