Coronavirus: How ya doing?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Re: Coronavirus: How ya doing?

Post by Jake »

What is this, Week 12 of lockdown? Time flies...or is it standing still? Who knows!

It really feels like the wheels are completely off the bus in the good old U.S.A. now. What a shitshow. Saturday night I stayed up until 3am watching my local news as they followed what looked to me like about 15 Bernie bros and another 10 or so African American teenagers burning shit and smashing windows. After a half hour or so of mayhem the cops would come and shoot some tear gas and the kids and the news would run over to the next block and smash some more windows. Then a half later this would repeat itself. It all seemed pointless.

Up until this weekend I was fully on board with the idea that riots are the language of the unheard, etc. And maybe they are. I came of age influenced by Spike Lee, Public Enemy, Malcolm X, N.W.A, and Cornel West. But here in Grand Rapids, it looked more like a "happening" for a handful of bored kids with nothing to do. I feel like a sellout for saying this, but the GRPD showed incredible restraint. The whole thing just left me feeling depressed. Like, what the fuck is this going to accomplish?

Sure, set some police cars on fire, smash up the police station, who cares? But going door to door on a skateboard, breaking windows of mom-and-pop shops with a shovel, what the fuck? I was very thankful in the morning to hear that my favorite record store, Vertigo Music, escaped unbreached. But not the restaurant owned by a friend.

When I see young white people out there throwing bricks at restaurants and pouring accelerants into the windows of cars I can't help but think of Gil Scott Heron's "Comment #1" with its "teeny bopping, revolt on weekend young" who "will go back home with a clear conscience and a college degree."

Who will survive in America?

Let's figure out how to organize for police reforms, de-escalation training, and more community involvement. De-militarize the police. Establish civilian agencies to hold the police accountable for misconduct. Make police personnel records public. Prosecute abusive behavior. Charge murderers and their accomplices with murder.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

Very good points made there Jake. Where I live a lot of rioting went on. Our courthouse was set on fire twice before the the culprit was caught and charged. Of course it was some idiotic, redneck looking white dude. The city of course of implemented curfew and businesses shut down. All this so called raging against the machine seems pointless to me. I'm reminded of the line in World Leader Pretend that says: "It seems like its' all, all for nothing". Nothing really comes of this violent protesting other than setting us all back. Things are really coming off the rails our here in the U.S.A. and yet I sit here with Green playing in the background thinking about prophetic in some ways R.E.M. were all those years ago. It sort of brings a little place of peace to me in this, these trying times. That's what the best music does. it's my calm and my center.

"“Let’s begin again, like Martin Luther Zen."

"Let's put our heads together
And start a new country up
Our father's father's father tried
Erased the parts he didn't like"

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

As usual, Obama knows exactly what to say and how to say it: How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Jake wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:28 pm
I feel like a sellout for saying this, but the GRPD showed incredible restraint.
Turns out that what I had interpreted as "restraint" had been more of an issue of being "under-resourced." Which is kind of a bummer. Last night, backed up by the National Guard, the cops were more aggressive. But still, from what I could see, the majority of the people getting roughed up in Grand Rapids were entitled white people, who seem desperate to make themselves the center of attention. I'm sure their intentions are noble (I was the same way in my 20s), but jeez, doesn't it seem like white people need to just shut the fuck up already?

We need to spend way more time listening and less time proclaiming.

/ / /

In other news, Michigan is opening back up. Stores are open this Thursday and restaurants and bars are opening on Monday, June 8. Not entirely sure how comfortable I feel about actually going out and being around other people at that this point, but I hope it shows that the situation is improving. To me, the data looks like cases/deaths look more flat than decreasing, but what do I know? Maybe we're at a manageable level?

It's hard to remember but I think the original pitch for staying at home and flattening the curve was to not overwhelm the medical system, right? People are going to continue to spread and catch this disease and it's going to continue to kill people, but as long as we can "handle" that, we're fine with it? Huh. Seems a little harsh. But I guess that's life? Hakuna matata.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

I'm dealing with the daily apocalyptic shit show the best I can. I'm using this time to make new podcast episodes, to try to finally clean up my basement, but to most importantly keep all of the priorities of my daily life in the proper order. Not so easy for a music guy who has ADHD and a strong need to DAYANCE!!!!!! ;) Part of me wishes I had weed in the house (it's legal in Illinois), but the other part of me, the one who doesn't drink, who deals with daily stress by eating too much junk food, who recognizes that over-snacking as a form of compulsive behavior, who wants to lose 20 or so pounds eventually, the one who needs his brain to be in tip-top functioning shape EVERY morning... That part of me realizes that maybe I'd become too fond of the green, that I might use it for the wrong reasons, and that it might up-end my life in ways I probably don't need to happen. Sigh. Sometimes sobriety sucks ass. I'm addicted to these turtle-candy cookies that are available (and legally so) at my local Jewel food store. I... must... resist... especially if I ever want to lose this dad bod.

This world is scaring me on a daily basis. But I can't let the bad guys win, no matter how many of them there seem to be. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming swimming. What do we do? We swiiiiiim! (Speaking of Disney movies, has anyone other than me caught the cocaine reference in the movie The Incredibles??)

Attached is a link to the entire text of the Serenity Prayer as written by Reinhold Niebhur (the extended remix of it, if you will! HA!). There's a lot of potential tools to cope with these hard times. And you don't need to believe in a divine presence or even embrace sobriety in order to find something to take away from this simple verse. Maybe a coping tool or three.

https://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/artic ... ity-prayer

Be safe, everyone. Stay healthy. Listen to The Famous Cat Chronicle podcast (please! I'd love to hear what you think!). Take your meds if your doctor has prescribed them. Talk to your loved ones, and then talk to the ones you can't stand. Illegitimi non carborundun. Listen to more Hushdrops. And for God's sake, don't let the haters win. We're better than that. We got this.

Hugz n kisses,
DJMurph

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Hey ya'll, it's me, Mixmaster Shecky back to offer support in these shitty times! And all I can say is don't listen to Rage Against The Machine right now: I did and now I feel like burning cop cars.

Also, thank Kee-rist Michigan legalized weed and declared dispensaries essential services. I wouldn't have made it 3 weeks through this @$%! pandemic without sweet Lady Jane by my side. No offense to DJ Murph but Purple Punch is doing it for me right now.

Of course, as always, fuck Trump.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

No offense taken, Shecks! I applaud anyone who can manage their high. Envious, even.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Welcome back, Shecky!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Post by grounded5am »

DJMurphy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:06 pm
I'm dealing with the daily apocalyptic shit show the best I can. I'm using this time to make new podcast episodes, to try to finally clean up my basement, but to most importantly keep all of the priorities of my daily life in the proper order. Not so easy for a music guy who has ADHD and a strong need to DAYANCE!!!!!! ;) Part of me wishes I had weed in the house (it's legal in Illinois), but the other part of me, the one who doesn't drink, who deals with daily stress by eating too much junk food, who recognizes that over-snacking as a form of compulsive behavior, who wants to lose 20 or so pounds eventually, the one who needs his brain to be in tip-top functioning shape EVERY morning... That part of me realizes that maybe I'd become too fond of the green, that I might use it for the wrong reasons, and that it might up-end my life in ways I probably don't need to happen. Sigh. Sometimes sobriety sucks ass. I'm addicted to these turtle-candy cookies that are available (and legally so) at my local Jewel food store. I... must... resist... especially if I ever want to lose this dad bod.....
Dude, I completely understand and feel you on the over indulgence of snack foods. And of wanting to loose the dad bod (not the good kind either) even though I'm not a dad. I'm on the ELMO diet (eat less more often) that helped Matthew McConaughey lose all that weight. Yet, I can wolf down a package of double stuff E.L. Fudge in one sitting. I constantly keep snack food in the house (Cheetos, Goldfish, cookies, ice cream, etc.) and I normally eat it while binging on old television shows. Now, I've been on the ELMO diet for about 5 years and I've lost a good amount of weight (I had gained a good bit after my fiancee died), but I could still loose some more. This over snacking compulsive habit isn't helping. But we'll get there. Life is taking some strange odd turns, but everyone will come out of this for the better and stronger. Hell, If i can sit here and type this having lost two of the most important people in my life and struggle with crippling depression/anxiety, then we ALL can get through this. What does not kill us make us stronger.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Post by jaimoe0 »

Hey brothers and sisters. Long time no post. Tell me something to listen to in order to navigate this hellscape!