aurora borealis

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

aurora borealis

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:57 pm

If you can get escape the light pollution tonight, you may get a chance to see the aurora borealis. They say conditions are at an all time high, a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. Sunday night was supposedly awesome in WI and IL, and tonight may be an encore. Perfect for the Pixies after show festivities, if your in Milrockee.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:05 pm

Thanks for the tip, I couldn't get the page to open, but did they say how far South it would be visible? I was able to see it sometime last year during a solar storm, it was unbelievably cool. The whole sky had this weird reddish glow to it.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:57 pm

I was driving from between Illinois and Michigan late last Sunday night, and picked up some hot Aurora Borealis action around Kalamazoo. They didn't let up until I was in the environs of Detroit City. These particular versions were a ghostly white/grey, and seemed to drop like miles of linen sheeting from the heavens above.

JTL

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:03 pm

i need to go visit Marfa some day... Texas dont need no stinking Northern Lights!

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:42 pm

steve-o wrote:Thanks for the tip, I couldn't get the page to open, but did they say how far South it would be visible? I was able to see it sometime last year during a solar storm, it was unbelievably cool. The whole sky had this weird reddish glow to it.

They don't really say how far south these might be visible, but in the past they have been observed as far south as Texas! Southern Illinois is the farthest I've heard this week.

Jiggle Billy
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby Jiggle Billy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:02 pm

Aurora Borealis, the icy sky at night
paddles cut the water
in a long and hurried flight

blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby blackshoestring » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:09 pm

From the white man
to the fields of green
And the homeland
we've never seen...

BTW - Who's Marfa?

just teasing

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:01 pm

Kumbaya, my Lord
Kumbaya.....

ok ok, seriously, everyone must witness the Aurora Borealis. I saw it many years ago. Gorgeous!

JonathanB
GLONO Board Playa

Postby JonathanB » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:58 pm

I was able to see it in my backyard on Sunday night. I was out there for about an hour and a half with my mouth gaping open in amazement.

For those of you interested, check out http://www.spaceweather.com. It'll give you alerts as to when the Aurora might happen.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:59 am

Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me.

Return to “Rants and Raves”